Chapter 3

Danny's P.O.V.

I was keeping Perez company while he was securing some ropes when Theo suddenly grabbed me around my waist and threw me over his shoulder.

"Theo!" I giggled but it was cut short when one of the rigging snapped lose and the pulley attached to the end of the rope banged against the main mast. Some wood splintered off on impact.

"GET THIS FIXED – NOW! DON'T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!" Theo bellowed with searing rage.

I was still slung across Theo's shoulder with my head upside down and his shoulder digging uncomfortably into my shoulder. I lifted my foot up and in front of Theo's face and waved it at him. He pushed my foot away from his face and jumped a bit so that my stomach bumped into his shoulder.

"Oof! Theo!"

He laughed and proceeded to jog up the ladder from the main deck all the way up to the Sterncastle deck.

Theo plumped me onto a barrel against the wall and adorned a smirk.

"What was that for?"

"I was in the mood." He answered and continued steering the ship.

"You were in the mood to bruise my stomach?" I asked dumbfounded while rubbing my sore stomach.

"Of course. How else is a gentleman supposed to get the attention of a lady? A gentleman needs the company of a lady when he feels lonesome." Theo glanced at me over his shoulder.

I rolled my eyes at him and scoffed, "Gentleman."

Getting comfortable, I laid back and rested my head against the wall behind me. I closed my eyes and let my skin soak up the sun while my ears explored my surroundings. The sounds of the boat slicing through the waters and the subtle creaks were the most pleasing sounds to my ears.

"I thought you were lonely. You're not really keeping up the conversation you know." I said.

"Keeping company does not always require talking to one another."

"Hmm..." I hummed.

Feeling myself being pulled into the soft embrace of sleep, I let go. Just before it could completely drown me in its comforting waters the sound of something slicing through the air followed by the splintering of wood disturbed the peacefulness.

Did another rigging snap?

I peeked my eyes open and saw a ship appear from behind a cliff.

Theo began crying out orders and rushed to my side. He grabbed my upper arm and began pulling me away.

"Dove, go to my cabin and lock-"

I ripped my arm from his hold and growled at him, "No!"

Running to the nearest sword, I plucked the sabre from its holder into the air and grabbed the grip mid-air. Grabbing onto both sides of the railing and basically jumping down the ladder, I took down my first opponent by kicking them in the chest as I was coming down.

A man with a scruffy beard and oily hair ran at me with a yellowed sneer. Instinct took over and I ducked low – avoiding my head from being sliced off by an inch - and swiped my sword across his legs in one fluid motion. The barbarian fell to his knees with a furious cry. I was quick to knock the pommel of my sword onto the side of his head as hard as I could. The man fell flat onto the deck into unconsciousness.

Running towards one of the grappling hooks connecting The Black Swan to the other ship, I cut the rope. I kept moving from one grappling hook to the next, severing the ropes connecting us.