Chapter 4

Theo's P.O.V.

Dusk had arrived when we surfaced from the lower deck. And from the looks of it, a storm would rage tonight.

The boat was docked at a harbour and we were led onto the boarding plank. Once we set foot onto the dock, Jenkson sped up his pace and his men made sure we followed. There were other ships docked and by their flags, I could tell they belonged to men of high rank.

At the end of the harbour, two carriages lay, waiting.

"The girl rides with me." Jenkson said and climbed into the first one.

Danny was pushed in after him while I, with objection, was forced into the second carriage. I glared at the men who accompanied me in the carriage and watched as we pulled away from the harbour.

The carriages came to a stop in front of an estate. The house was a three stories high Georgian house with a double door at the entrance.

Jenkson's goons pushed me out the carriage and I watched as Danny appeared from the first.

We were led inside the house and into the entrance hall. Jenkson gave his coat and gloves to a servant before barking at her to remove her form his sight. She wimpered away.

"Bring them." He said and walked down the hall before turning left. I memorised our path as we went down a few turns before stopping in front of a door. We entered Jenkson's personal study.

There was a large deck in front of a Palladian window and two chairs across it. A bookcase was on the right-side wall while a closet door was on the left. His desk was bare except for a few loose papers and a feather.

Jenkson sat down behind his desk, "Put the girl in the closet."

"Do not dare-" I began to protest, but I was shoved down into a chair in front of Jenkson and kept down.

"Hey!" Danny yelled angrily.

I watched furiously as they opened the closet door and a chair was placed in the middle. Danny was pushed inside and shoved onto it. Another moron tied her to the chair before gagging her.

"Jenkson! I am warning you..." I shouted heatedly.

"She'll be released once I have my jewel." He calmly said.

The door was shut and locked.

I seethed at the man sitting in front of me, "Once she is released... your life will end."

He began laughing at me, "You would be executed if you tried killing me."

"Your blood won't spill by my hands, but it will be spilt. Slowly, torturously slow..." I said and grinned darkly.

Fear flashed in his eyes.

***

I exited the carriage, alone this time, and buttoned my suit jacket. Jenkson had so kindly given me more appropriate attire.

Jenkson had prearranged my attendance to the ball of Lord James Ruthord Lankas. I was instructed to slip in unnoticed from the ballroom and steal Duchess Lankas' renowned tanzanite necklace from her chambers.

I strolled up the stairs and kept an eye on my surroundings. A footman led me to the entrance of the ballroom. The butler stood at the side and held his hand out for my invitation. I handed it to him and watched as he walked forwards and announced to those already inside, "Sir Timothy Cunningham, Earl of Rifting."

How long did it take him to come up with that?

I leisurely strolled into the room and began blending in.