Chapter Six: Princeton Avenue

Everything was quiet that evening, Joy  sitting in her room, still in her school uniform. She was doing her math homework, enjoying putting herself to work. She might not have shown it, but she loved school. It distracted her from her home life. She pushed her slightly broken glasses up on her nose, the hinges loose and causing the glasses to constantly shift. Tapping her pencil against her book, she could hear Sam and her mother Valerie speaking in low tones in the living room. Joy didn't pay much attention to them. As long as they were quiet she didn't care about what they were discussing, or what they were doing.

        But the thing was, when the two of them were together, things didn't stay quiet for long.

        Gradually their drunken voices grew louder, but Joy ignored it, figuring one would pass out eventually.

        As she was a few questions away from finishing her homework, planning to go out for the night, a shatter jolted her from her bed, forcing to leave her room and cautiously walk down the paint chipped hall. She kept her footsteps as quiet as she possibly could, making her way to the living room. A loud thud followed by two more awful flesh sounds and crying were sounds Joy knew all too well. It made her speed up her steps to the living room.

        Her mother was curled up in the fetal position, bracing herself against his fist. Broken glass from a beer bottle scattered the floor, shards of it lodged in Sam's cheek. Sam's ghostly skin dripped with blood, a long slice along his face made the living room look like a crime scene, blood spewing everywhere.

        She couldn't tell which was her mother's and which was his, but she immediately rushed over to intervene when he threw another punch.  Her mother let out a wail, leading Joy to cut in between in a panic, attempting to ward off Sam.

        "Stop it!" She shrilled, trying to push him away, but her weak body at the time wouldn't allow it and she was shoved aside harshly. She stood up again and rammed him, and this time Sam turned on her, the strike of his fist to her shoulder knocking her onto her side. Joy clenched her teeth tightly, holding her aching arm and crawling backwards along the filth brown carpeting.

        "You stay out of this you little bitch." He sneered through his rotting teeth, melting away from his use of methamphetamines.

        The screaming. Oh it was the screaming that really got to her. It shook her down to her bones and welled frightened tears in her eyes, her heart beating so fast in her chest it made it hard to breathe. Her chest was tight as she stood by helplessly gripping her hair.

        "If you don't stop I'm calling the cops! Do you hear me?!" And statement she spewed many times while she lived here.

        Afraid for her mother's life, she ran to her room and gripped her phone.

        "I'm calling them!" She screamed over her mother, her voice quivering as she pressed nine. Then one. Then another one. Her blurry vision stared at the numbers and that's when everything quieted down her mother shouting at Sam to get out, the front door slamming and her mother resuming her hysterics.

        Joy got off her bed and slammed the door shut, leaning against it and throwing her phone back on the bed with the number still dialed.

        She ran her fingers through her hair and her shoulders shook as she cried, hugging her knees to her chest.

        The worst thing was, her mother would let him in later on, and this cycle would repeat.