Chapter Eighteen: Tears on the Runway

Her routine ended Joy panting before the familiar group of vampires. Tobias had been first to see her routine, Joy deciding she should have the opinion of the rest of the household as well. They gathered in their lavish living room, Joy using the echoing space of the foyer.

Her dance told her story, from beginning till now, the touchy tale expressed in something she held so dearly to her heart.

Her little audience was quiet, Joy momentarily taking their silence as disliking her piece until Ophelia wiped her cheek.

"How beautiful. Joy, they're going to love it. Never go back to how things were, it'd be such a waste of talent." Joy had no intention of doing so, though some days, she couldn't say for certain she would deny cocaine if it were offered, it was just something drilled into her. It would take years to break, but this was progress and it was a start.

"It was intricate, I very much enjoyed it at well. Tobias has a talent in bringing the good out of everyone," Jon added, Tobias taking steps from leaning against the wall, over to Joy.

"I didn't do a thing, she did it all herself." Tobias praised, kissing her cheek. Pride was apparent in her tilted-up head, a coy smile splayed along her lips.

"Could we see it again? Pretty please?" Marissa egged on, Joy willingly starting over the music to dance once more.

While Joy began her performance from the beginning, Jon pulled Tobias aside.

"Have you told her yet?" Tobias looked over to the performing butterfly, his grim countenance lighting up.

"I haven't." He admitted, drawing his attention back to Jon's stern glare.

"When do you plan to tell her? When you're heading out the door with your suitcases?" Tobias rubbed the back of his neck, shaking his head. "Then? Do you plan to take her with us? We have to return to London in two months."

"Of course not, I-"

"Then do you want to stay here? I don't mind but-"

"I'm going with you!" He hissed in a whisper, clearing his throat anxiously upon realizing the menacing tone he dared to take with Jon. "I cannot remain with her, Master Cross. She's getting her footing, and she needs to be with humans. Remaining with vampires would be unhealthy. I cannot provide her with a good life. I cannot provide her with a family, something she's going to desire. It may not be now, but she will want someone to grow old with. I will never age. I will bury her." His eyes watered at the thought. He shook his head. "Someone else needs to love her. It cannot be me." Jon noticed how hard it was for Tobias to detach himself from her, a consoling hand patting his back.

"You're making the right decision. She will be angry, you know."

"I know." Tobias chuckled, blinking back tears. "But she won't need me much longer. She will understand."

Jon to this day couldn't understand why Tobias put himself through this. She wasn't the first pet he's nursed back to health and set free, and each time he was saddened. And Tobias always gave him the same reason.

"Humans live short lives. They deserve to be happy."

"Be sure you tell her soon so she's prepared."

Tobias dipped his head in understanding.

Joy was giggling when Marissa rushed up and strangled her in a hug, peppering her with kisses.

He would do as Master Cross asked, but first he needed to prepare himself.

~.~.~

Don't be nervous. Don't be nervous. Don't be nervous. You're gonna be great. Relax, you've done this routine a hundred times.