Chapter Twelve: Out Cold

"You want back in? You're gonna have to work for it Doll face."

It was another endless night, and she was leaned over in the passenger's window speaking in a sultry voice to the driver.

Never did she believe she'd sink this low. But that was the deal you made with the devil that coursed through your veins. An endless down spiral to the pits of Hell that await.

Joy didn't even question Isaiah's treatment. Once upon a time, she didn't believe he would make her do this. That she was special to him, she was different.

She was desperate, and to her this was punishment for leaving him. She deserved this much for turning her back on someone who's taken care of her. She truly did believe him when he told her this was for her own good. That this is the only way she'd earn his trust and feed her habit.

She crawled into the stranger's car, slamming the passenger's side door behind her. He drove off to a destination unknown to her. A place he could have easily tied her up and killed her. No one would miss her, right? He could fulfill his wildest desires and not one person would bat an eye. It would be bound to happen in this line of work.

Joy scanned her customer, his expensive suit, his sleek navy-blue jaguar with spotless black leather seats that stuck beneath her thighs, his neatly combed greying hair. A wedding band on his finger. Your average rich asshole, with a cookie cutter family it seemed. Probably some company owner, with a tennis playing, yoga, trophy wife, a pot smelling, problematic son, and daddy's perfect daughter, and the perfect house to go with them. He was tired of his doll house life and wanted an escape. That was her. She was brought to feed his guilty pleasures that his wife could not or would not.

She was his escape from his illusion.

No, he wouldn't kidnap her, or keep her prisoner in his basement. He wouldn't keep trash around the house because sooner or later she would begin to rot, and his family would sniff for the smell, where his purebred poodle, Max would be found chewing on her bones.

Joy hadn't realized it, but she was speaking to him, what she was saying, she wasn't sure. She heard her voice but didn't comprehend it.

The words that left her mouth were not her own.

She was on autopilot, while her mind was somewhere else.

He gave her a smile, one that looked painful. As if he were the tin man in the Wizard of Oz. Someone forgot to oil his lips because his firm smile never met his eyes. His mouth smirked stiff and awkward, much like the collar of his shirt.

He set the car in park, the tinted windows of his car melding with the dim street lamps, flickering occasionally. Joy had somewhat of an idea as to where they were, a pretty bad neighborhood from what she remembered. Trash clogged the gutters, groups of men were loud and obnoxious outside bodegas, a scarce laundromat with a drained mother, a young girl sitting on the beat-up benches while something played on the outdated television. Her mother watched the swirl of clothes in a hypnotic daze, while the young girl kicked her feet to and fro, engulfed in the picture. From what Joy could see, it was a music video. The women were dressed skimpy; neon colors, and tons of makeup filled the screen, but that wasn't what jumped out to either Joy or the young girl. They were watching the gyrating hips, and rapid movement of background dancers, completely engulfed.

Joy remembered being in her place, in that same laundromat, watching the music videos they always had on, while her mother sat indifferent. Too tired to function from the three jobs she worked. They always had the channel with music on, Joy bopping to the tunes, or sometimes mimicking the movements of the dancers.