Chapter Seven: Safe Haven

Joy blinked lazily up at the ceiling of the hotel room, his money flaunted all around the room. From the spacious walls to the excessive amounts of furniture for only one vampire, she knew he had money and he was rooted deep into the wealthy system of high class vampires. That was no surprise considering he was associated with the kings of the vampire race.

        He stood near the large window, sleeves rolled up to his elbow, nice suit jacket cast aside

        "Was it always like this for you? There was never a time where you felt safe and happy?"

        Her head was spinning, trying to grasp an answer. Her heart beat at a soothing rhythm in her chest as opposed to jumping about frantically, an overwhelming calmness taking hold of her, for the zannies she swallowed welcomed her into tranquility.

        Her dilated pupils were searching for an answer in each car headlight that passed through the room as they drove by outside.

        "Yes." She answered in a monotonous tone. "When my mother took me to see to see The Nutcracker on Broadway." Joy closed her eyes. "It was my birthday, and I turned five." Joy began. "I had never been to an actual performance, I would just see them occasionally on T.V when my mother would take me to the laundry mat. But that time, I remembered sitting in the audience in happiness. If I try hard enough, I could still see each bright light and hear the gentle music roaring through the theatre. The costumes, the dancers, the sets. They were all so beautiful and dazzling to five-year-old me, and they still are now that I think about it. Even now I could see the entire piece in my head. It's burned into my memory. I was so excited when the ballet dancers would walk across the stage on the tips of their shoes, spinning and becoming one with the music. I remembered being anxious in my seat. All moving around, my heart racing as I looked up at my exhausted mother." Joy paused, feeling her lashes growing moist." She must have worked many night shifts to get middle seat tickets." Her mother worked two jobs just to feed them, she could only imagine how hard she must have worked for those tickets.

        Joy's eyes opened. "I felt safe there in that auditorium. Like I belonged. I knew I wanted to be there, and since that night I would always be dancing. I never stopped, but it all seems so distant now. Like it was all a stupid dream." She blinked back tears, and wasn't sure why she was spilling her guts to him, but he appeared to be sincere, and she needed for once, just someone to listen to her. No one appeared to care, and even if he didn't, at least he pretended to.

        "Did you ever go to see another performance after that?" Joy shook her head, her voice softening.

        "My mother couldn't afford it, and two years later she met him. And that's when I stopped knowing what happiness felt like. I only ever remember how it feels when I'm high. And then it's gone." Tobias cast his coffee orbs to her.

        "What if I offered to take you to one? Would you like that?" Joy squinted her gaze to him, utterly confused.

        "And why the fuck would you offer that for? I barely know you." Tobias moved from the window and approached her form that lay sprawled out on his bed, trusting the perfect stranger that sat beside her with caution.

        "I don't know if you remember me, Joy. You most likely do not, but seven years ago, you ran into me, and I looked into your drunken eyes and I knew you needed help. As you stumbled away, I could only hope I'd get to see you again and now I have. I won't let this slip through my fingers. I would like to get to know you better, so if you would give me the chance and allow me to set a date to go to a show, I would be the utmost grateful." Joy was stunned into silence by his kind words. Seven years ago...Joy could not recall ever meeting him, probably whacked out of her mind no surprise, but she had a familiar feeling about meeting him when they had first met, so maybe that had been why.  He didn't appear to have any hidden schemes in his sweet eyes. Not like Isaiah's mischievous gaze she was helplessly drawn to.