Chapter 1

Rapunzel felt herself awake but she didn't want to get up. She wanted to escape back into her wonderful dream. A dream where she was enjoying life outside. A dream...

"Hello?" came a voice. Rapunzel bolted up. That wasn't Mother. It couldn't be a dream, could it?

"Hello? Is anyone there?" It sounded like a girl's voice. Rapunzel jumped out of her bed and rushed to her little balcony.

Standing at the bottom of the stairs was a girl. She had brown hair and brown eyes that widened when they landed on Rapunzel.

"Who are you?" they asked at the same time. Giggling a little, they both said, "You first." After they stopped giggling, the brown haired girl said, "I'm Mari.(A/N: This is pronounced Ma•dee. If you already knew that, congrats you're smart!) Who are you?"

"I'm Rapunzel. How did you get up here?"

"There's a door at the bottom. It led up and through that trap door," Mari said, pointing at a stone that had been moved. Rapunzel gaped at it. All this time she had wanted to go outside...

"Do you have any food? I haven't had anything to eat since yesterday morning," Mari said. Rapunzel fixed some food as they talked. They had breakfast as they talked. Soon, too soon, the sun was slipping under the horizon.

Mari got up and went to look at the wonderful view. Rapunzel joined her. They didn't see a cloaked woman as silent as the grave slip up the steps and creep towards them.

Mari screamed before slumping to the ground. Rapunzel shouted her name as she caught her, pulling the dagger out of her side. Mari's eyes started to loose focus as she held her side.

"Come Rapunzel. We're leaving now!" Mother said. Rapunzel cried as she held her dying friend. She tried to sing her song, but Mother grabbed her hair and pulled her back.

"NO! No stop! You can't take me away. You can't!" Rapunzel shouted. Mother slapped her across the face. Rapunzel froze. She shook with fury. She ran over to Mari and sang her song as quickly as she could.

"Flowergleamandglow

Letyourpowershine

Maketheclockreverse

Bringbackwhatoncewasmine

Healwhathasbeenhurt

Changethefate'sdesign

Bringbackwhatoncewasmine

Whatoncewasmine."

As the light came back into Mari's eyes, Rapunzel grabbed the dagger as she gripped her hair right below the shoulders. Mother's eyes widened in terror as she rushed forward, but Rapunzel was quicker and she sliced through the hair. Then she threw the dagger out the window.

Mother screamed as she ran towards a mirror nearby. Still screaming, she clutched at her face, trying to grab away the wrinkles and white hair that was forming. Rapunzel watched as Mother withered away and collapsed. All that was left was her dress.

"Rapunzel?" Mari's voice echoed through her ears. What had she done? She had just killed her Mother. What had she done?

Rapunzel fell to her knees and started weeping. Mari knelt down and held her. She didn't say anything. As the tears ran slower, Rapunzel looked up towards the window. The sun was just barely there. It seemed to be her life, disappearing behind her. The night bringing a new life, a better life.

"Come on Rapunzel. Let's go pack your things. We'll leave right now." Mari helped Rapunzel pack her belongings and some food. Then they left the tower.

Rapunzel turned and looked up at the tower. It seemed so innocent and beautiful against the night sky. Rapunzel ran a hand through her new hair and shook her head.

"Goodbye."

Okay, I know that the cover shows Rapunzel with blonde hair, but just pretend it's brown.

Anyway, how did I do? Vote and comment and I just may continue the story. ;)

AlissaDonkers