6 | Brainwashed

CHAPTER SIX
(vi. brainwashed)

THE RECORDINGS WERE what she fell asleep to

THE RECORDINGS WERE what she fell asleep to. What she woke up to. What she lived for seven weeks to. It was only thing she saw for near enough two months. It was enough o drive her out of her mind.

Which was exactly what HYDRA wanted. They had already stolen the tesseract after the events in New York and many scientists were currently working on transferring its energy into making human enhancements. However they needed information Cassandra had, and she wouldn't give it up until she viewed them as the ally and not the enemy. And to do this, was to create the image of Tony Stark as the enemy in Cassandra's mind.

And so it continued, the slow torture and brainwashing of seeing a man do bad things started created the idea that the man was actually bad and the next time Cassie was asked: 'who is Tony Stark to you?' She simply answered with a vague expression, 'murderer'.

//\\

"Now, dear, can you tell me your name?" Baron had taken the girl to see one of the specialist doctors in psychotherapy and the workings of the mind.

"Cassandra Potts." She replied, feeling quite numb and staring at the wall rather than the man.

"And how old are you Cassandra?"

"Sixteen years old."

"Who is your mother?"

"I don't have one. She's dead."

"And your father?"

"Dead."

"So who do you live with?"

"My aunt Pepper and..." Cassie winced, showing the first sign of emotion as she spoke his name, "Tony Stark."

"Very good, now can you tell me about The Avengers?" He asked.

At this question Cassie turned her head towards Strucker who was observing from outside the room. "As long as you can do something for me." She requested. The doctor hesitated, waiting for Barons green light. "I'll tell you anything you want to know."

"What do you want from us?" The doctor queried.

"I want you to enhance me. I want to become like them -- the Avengers, like the X-Men... whoever you're trying to recreate. I want to have powers just like them."

"Why?" This came from Baron who was intently staring at the girl, trying to figure out her motives.

"So I can kill Tony Stark." She simply said.

"She is clearly in shock, she won't be thinking clearly. The decision might have been made upon impulse and not rationality." The doctor from before argued.

"Do I look like a man who cares?" Strucker answered in his eerily calm manner.

"But the patient may receive some psychological side effects including memory loss, paranoia and anxiety. Not to mention the dangers -- we don't know what will happen." He continued.

"This procedure will happen, and it will happen now." Baron said more forcefully.

//\\

Cassie was strapped to a metal table, a harsh light shone in her eyes which she chose to ignore. It was irritating her that they hadn't stared yet. She couldn't wait to find Stark. And kill him.

Soon doctors walked in talking in hushed tones and commanding each other around. Soon a mask was placed upon her face, pumping a strong anaesthetic into her system. Slowly, she could feel her consciousness slip away as Cassie fell into a deep slumber.