17 | Ultron

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
(xvii. ultron)

CASSIE SCRAMBLED OUT of bed, rushing to get ready to meet the mystery guest

CASSIE SCRAMBLED OUT of bed, rushing to get ready to meet the mystery guest. The sleep had done her good and she felt refreshed, her mind was clearer and she felt oddly safer. Even in the new environment.

Cassandra stepped outside her room and meandered into a large living space, what lined the wall made Cassie gasp. A huge window stretched from one side to the next revealing a spectacular view -- absolutely nothing compared to the desolate, snowy landscape of Sokovia and the HYDRA base. Now that she was thinking about it she noticed how much more modern Stark Tower was. AI following you everywhere, technology at your disposal, it was another major part in helping Cassie feel at home. However, she couldn't help but feel guilty as she knew Wanda and Pietro were stuck at the base... or were they? Cassie knew the Avengers had attacked HYDRA but what was left of it? Were Wanda and Pietro safe?

Her thoughts were halted at the sound of the elevator, just out of eyesight, opening and out poured two frantic voices.

"Why did you bring me here Tony?" A woman's said, it sounded familiar to Cass but she couldn't place it.

"Please, don't freak out." Tony begged, and the pair rounded the corner. Their eyes fell on Cassandra and she let out a strange gurgling sound.

"Cassandra?" Her aunt Pepper asked aloud, taking hesitant steps forward. She looked back towards Tony and back again at Cassie.

"Oh my god." Cassie gasped, eyes immediately tearing as she broke into a run towards her presumed-dead relative.

The duo grasped each other and held on tight, sobbing in each other's arms -- Cassie nearly dropped, overwhelmed in the embrace.

"Cassie, I've missed you so, so much -- where have you been? What happened? When did you come back?" Pepper bombarded, loading questions onto her three years missing niece.

"I missed you too Aunt Pepper. I've been in Sokovia, I don't really know what happened, I came back a few days ago." Cassie answered, they released and look a proper look at each other.

"You look beautiful Cassandra--"

"Cassie."

"Three years, and you're just the same little Cassie you've always been." Pepper smiled nostalgically and Cassie returned it, tears still dripping down her nose with the intense emotion.

"I thought you were dead." She choked out.

"What? Why would you think that?" Pepper queried.

"I saw it." Cassie replied in a whisper, her aunts face dropped in confusion.

"We need to talk." Tony quietly said looking into Pepper's eyes, Cassie looked between the two and stepped back slightly.

Pepper looked at the younger blonde, "I'll be back in a second."

Cassie slowly turned away and walked down the corridor, not knowing how to feel -- scared her aunt would think she's a 'freak', happy that she actually had her aunt back, confused because she was alive and talking to Tony. Cassie glanced back over her shoulder to see the adults talking in hushed tones and Pepper take a panicked look towards Cassie and eyes glass over.

//\\

Cassandra walked down a random corridor not wanting to see her aunt cry, and also not wanting her aunt to see her cry. She turned to a door, smashed and broken.

Instantly, she stood on guard and carefully looked in -- inspecting for any signs of danger. Technically, there was signs of past danger but no current intruders. It was a bedroom... kind of. At one side a large bed, dark red covers messed up and ruffled, at the other side of the room: a gigantic computer station full of high-tech equipment however a large smash in the centre of the screen. On the floor was the crushed debris of the broken door, she looked towards the bed half-expecting a phone to be lying underneath it, but just an empty space.

Gingerly, Cassie pushed open the half-door and stepped inside -- being hit with a wave of memories resulting in a headache. She clutched her head and sat on the edge of the bed. It was powerful and painful, and she didn't know what it was. Slowly and carefully she lay down on the bed squeezing her eyes closed, willing the pain to disappear.

A body ran past the door before doing a double take and looking through the hole at Cassie, "Cass?" Tony questioned looking at her fatal position on the bed. He also opened the door (not without taking a deep breath), he sat next to his niece on the bed. "What's wrong?"

"My head. It hurts." Cassie spoke, sitting up and going dizzy.

"Need a doctor?"

"Nope. I'll survive." She shrugged away the pain looking at him, "why is my bedroom like this?"

Her uncle took a deep breath before looking around, "I haven't been in here in three years... ever since you called me and told me people were trying to kill you."

Cassandra's eyebrows furrowed, "I... I don't remember..." she stuttered trying, trying to think of the event.

"The people were HYDRA agents, and the man who took you away from us was Wolfgang Von Strucker. He changed you, he manipulated you. We tried -- I tried -- for three years to find you, it seemed impossible. I tried so hard." His eyebrows scrunched up and a pained expression replaced the calm, "But it's okay now, you're back -- you're home." He promised, looking back to his niece.

"I'm sorry." She said, looking up to her uncle, "I..."

"Don't you think it's time for you to formally meet The Avengers?" Tony asked, attempting to lighten the mood.

"I guess..?" Cassie shrugged uncertainly but smiled nonetheless, they stood up together and started to exit the room when the vision hit her.

The Avengers sat, laughing with Cassie as Tony and Rhodey tried to lift up Thor's hammer, but failing miserably.

The vision flicked to a more sinister scene.

Suddenly the elevator opened revealing a torn robot limping in.

It skipped and flickered once more before leaving her mind keeping only the name 'Ultron' present.

"You okay, Cass?" Tony queried.

"Yes." Cassie lied and plastered a smile on her face as she left the room.