20 | Blame

CHAPTER TWENTY
xx. Blame

THE AVENGERS SAT, bruised and broken down on the quinjet, a frustrated Tony stood talking to a serious Maria Hill through a monitor

THE AVENGERS SAT, bruised and broken down on the quinjet, a frustrated Tony stood talking to a serious Maria Hill through a monitor. "The news is loving you guys. Nobody else is. There's been no official call for your arrest, but it's in the air." She said.

"Stark relief foundation?" He replied.

"Already on the scene." Maria answered, "how's the team?"

Upon hearing Maria's question, Cassandra snapped out of her glassy-eyed daze to glance around the vehicle. Natasha looked just as drained as she did, trapped in her own mind, Bruce looked tired and guilty — but then again he always did. Thor, similarly seemed affected, Cassie knew he had been under Wanda's spell and she pitied the god. Steve was staring at his own closed hands, he usually wore his heart on his sleeve but Cassie couldn't read his face as he furrowed his brows. Unlike Tony, stood tall, his casual arrogance was gone but it was simply to mask his pain — Cassie knew how he acted, she did the same.

"Everyone's... we took a hit. We'll shake it off." Tony assured, Cassie sat in a corner knees presses to her chest, their eyes met momentarily and Cassandra flared him down. She shook her head, scoffing before standing up and moving to sit next to Natasha.

=

They soon landed, seemingly in the middle of nowhere. There was a large farmhouse surrounded by acres of land, they all slowly walked towards the large house.

"Where are we?" Cassie queried, just thinking about the next time she'd be able to sleep.

"A safe house?" Tony said.

"Let's hope." Clint said, they all tiredly entered the large house.

A heavily pregnant woman walked out from the kitchen smiling at the confused group, "Hi. Company, sorry I didn't call ahead." He apologised, before the two kissed quickly.

"This is an agent of some kind." Tony said, Cassie just rolled her eyes at the man.

"This is Laura." Clint introduced to the group.

"I know all your names." Laura smiles happily, but the rest of the team looked awkward.

"Ooh, incoming." Clint grinned as two children ran into the room and hugged the man. Cassie widened her eyes when the girl said, "dad!" And Clint picked her up.

Cassie couldn't help laughing, "you're a dad?" Clint shrugged happily, talking to his children.

"These are... smaller agents." Tony said, clearly taken aback.

"Did you bring auntie Nat?" The young girl asked.

"Why don't you hug her and find out?" Natasha laughed and picked the girl up in a hug.

Being the gentlemen he was, Steve piper up, "sorry for bathing in."

"Yeah, we would have called ahead, but we had no idea you existed." Tony said.

"Because you would have been so good with the information?" Cassie snapped, folding her arms.

"Yeah, Fury helped me set this up when I joined SHIELD, he kept it off the files, I'd like to keep it that way." Clint explained.

"How's little Natasha?" Nat smiled, touching Laura's clearly pregnant stomach.

"She's... Nathaniel." Laura laughed.

"Traitor." Nat said, grinning nonetheless.

Thor began to walk out the house. Steve and Cassie followed, "Thor?" Cassie called out.

"I saw something in that dream, I need answers, I won't find them here." He said, clearly irked by Wanda's visions.

Cassie waved sadly, "See you soon."

"Lady Cassandra." He said before using his hammer to leave the field.

Steve and Cassie began walking back into the house, when Steve stopped for a second his face contorting init a grimace, "you good?" Cassie asked.

"How do you handle the visions, don't you see people's pain?" Steve asked staring at the ground.

"All the time." Cassie said, "it's hard to stop them, it's like a radio sometimes I tune into strangers futures and it's sad by being able to help them." Cassie shrugged, "it's life." She finished, "whatever Wanda showed you, it's not real."

Steve remained silent as they entered the house once more.

=

"It's not real." Cassie said.

"You're still up to these tricks?" Tony questioned, he hadn't noticed Cassie, she was now sat on top of the tractor. She had listened to Fury's and her uncles conversations.

"Wanda can't see the future, she stimulates your fear. She reads your mind and preys on your weakness." Cassie explained, she actually felt sorry for her uncle — she'd never noticed how much pain and guilt he was carrying.

"So you're calling me weak." Tony stated.

"I'm calling you confused and insecure. You didn't start this and you won't end this, you think that we all wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you? We are the good guys, you haven't done anything to be evil. Without us, evil would think they could get away with it. Without being a team we wouldn't be able to save the world — which you've done so many times before? We're not going to die anytime soon, if we are I'll let you know." Cassie finished.

"You don't understand." Tony school his head.

"There you go underestimating me, again. None of this is your fault, even if we died, they'd all be dead a long time ago without this team." Cassie explained, she jumped down from the tractor and hugged her uncle, "don't blame yourself, okay?"

Tears stung his eyes and he appreciated the girls words, for so long he had been without his niece and he was so glad she was back and they were okay. He had always blamed himself for her being taken, but the truth was she was always special and that had nothing to do with Tony Stark.