Chapter Five - The Gas Chamber

Chapter Five

The Gas Chamber

That night, while hanging up Bala’s jacket, Granny found the bullet in her pocket.

“What is this Bala?” she asked, with a sinking heart. “Where did you girls ride today? Are you getting into mischief?”

“Oh no, Granny! No mischief…ah… someone took a shot at Premala, that’s all, when her back was turned, and I…ah…I just happened to catch it.”

“Someone was shooting?” asked Granny in alarm.

“I guess they thought we were trespassing, but we didn’t know we were.”

“Is that the truth?”

“Yes, Ma’am mostly.”

“Is this what the man, Ramanathan, was referring to this evening in the dining room?”

“Yes Ma’am. The bullet would have hurt Premala, so I had to catch it, you see. Premala doesn’t know anything about it because I never say much and, please, Granny, please don’t mention it!” Bala said, beginning to cry.

“Darling child, of course I won’t. You can always trust your old Granny.” She took the small girl in her arms and rocked her back and forth. “Dearest little Bala,” she said, brushing away the tears rolling down her cheeks. “So brave and good. I don’t really understand you, dear heart, but I get a glimpse sometimes. You have to keep so much to yourself, don’t you? That must make you feel lonely, doesn’t it?”

“Lonely, Granny?”

“Yes my darling, because you have to keep so much to yourself, don’t you? That must make you feel lonely, don’t it?”

“Lonely, Granny?”

Yes, my darling, because you have to keep so much in your heart.”

“Oh, no, not lonely, Granny. My heart is always overflowing with so much love; how can I be lonely?” Bala gave her Granny a big hug. “Could we call mummy and daddy tonight, Granny? You said the daddy might be coming up here. Could we call now, Granny?”

“Well, of course you can. We’ll do that right now.”

Bala dialed the number, “Hallo mummy! It’s me, Bala here. Yes, we’re having a great time. Yes, and we’re having adventures too! But we miss you all so much. Don’t you think you should come up and have a little holiday? Oh, I know, yes, I know, another abandoned waif, huh? Are you going to bring it home, too? Yes, mummy, I think you should. No, mummy you are not too old, and I can help, too! Okay, okay; is papa there…? Oh, papa! How are you? We miss you both so much. You are?

You will? Oh, papa, I am glad. Do you know what happened?”

And then Bala recounted everything that had happened, beginning with Amber, the filly, and up to and including the marble palace. “Do you know that man Ramanathan, papa? Oh, I see.” She turned to Granny. 20

“He’s the man who had defrosted entire mountains of trees and he’s made crores and crores of money by denuding the environment. Why can’t you put him in jai, daddy? Oh, I see, no one can catch him because they can’t find his base of operation! Well, daddy. I think we know where it is…”

There was a click.

“Daddy! Daddy! Oh, I thought I heard someone hanging up! It wasn’t you? Oh, papa, no I don’t think we are in danger! Don’t worry! I’m nine years old and all grown up. Yes! I want you to come here, okay? You will? Oh good, I’ll tell Granny. Oh, she sends her love too. Okay, see you then.” And she hung up the phone with a smile.