Chapter Fourteen - Tribals

Chapter Fourteen

Tribals

The labourers were indeed becoming homesick for Kerala. Since Ramanathan had been paying them wages, and Sarojini had been tutoring their children and giving them healthy food, they had blossomed into energetic, enthusiastic men and women. Because they felt so strong now, they felt that they could face the challenge of starting a new life for themselves and rebuilding their village in Kerala.

At first, Sarojini was very unhappy, because these people who were now her friends, wanted to leave.

“Who will give you Vitamin B supplements?” she cried.

“Oh, Auntie, Kerala greens and herbs so good. We don’t need supplements. We will be eating real food. One herb, kami tribals putting on market and they will get profits! You eat leaves and run all the way up mountain without stopping.”

“Not possible!” laughed the plump lady. “But, tell me, this kami herb is growing nicely?”

“Not now, Auntie, but ayurvedic company is giving seeds to five thousand tribals families to cultivate. They will buy and tribals will profit. Now also, tribals growing orchids for profit. Before only giving away flowers.”

One evening, Ramanathan, Sarojini and the others were having dinner together.

“Son, my people would like to return to their native village,” Sarojini said. “Their children have not been returned to them and they feel strong enough now to go and fight with Gowda. I know how worried they must be and so I told them to hire themselves a good lawyer, send the bill to us, and that I would speak to you.”

“This is, indeed, unfortunate as they were doing so well seeding the new forest. I don’t know where I can find more workers and this afforestation work cannot stop.”

“I think I can arrange that for you, Mr. Ramanathan,” said Gopal. “There are many tribal villages right here in Tamil Nadu and the men have no work. A law was passed some years back, forbidding anyone to buy tribal land on the premise that land was the only thing a tribal owned. But by falsifying records and using unscrupulous lawyers, many tribals lost their lands and found themselves scratching out a pitiful livelihood working as agricultural labourers.

Our labourers may even come under that category. Anyway, now many tribals are destitute and need work desperately? Hunger stalks their little children.”

“Will they be willing to work?”

“I think so.”

“Will they be willing to relocate?”

“Perhaps. I’ll ride up there tomorrow and talk to the tribal chieftain.

“Oh, Gopal, I’ve never seen a tribal village before. Could we come with you on Madam?”

“But Bala, an elephant would slow me down.”

“Not Madam. She’s fleet of foot.”

“We’ve never seen a tribal at all, Gopal,” said Mary.

“They’re just ordinary people,” said Uma. “except for their bows and arrows. These workers in the huts also have bows and arrows.” 53

And so the next day found Gopal saddled on his horse and Mary, Premala and Bala sitting on a blanket atop Madam.

“Don’t you have a harness for Madam, Bala?” Uma called, laughing, when she stood at the gate to wave goodbye.

“A harness!!” shouted Bala. “Madam tells me where she wants to go and I humbly obey!”