Postscript

POSTSCRIPT

As the Amby started down the highway towards the plateau below, the glorious elephant, Madam, stood silhouetted against sky of molten gold.

The Divine Mother switched off the button and the big screen became black. The entire Chariot seemed to tremble with sobs of Bala’s Shakthi aunties.

“Oh, if only she could have remained in that beautiful forest with Madam,” sobbed Kameshwari, reaching for a tissue.

“Poor Madam. What will happen to her, Mother?”

“She’ll be the official mount of the only woman tribal leader in India, of course. I thought that was clear.”

“You mean the girl Paramela?” “Yes, of course, Ravi’s future….now ladies, enough of this. Bala’s life is not a soap-opera play and we can’t, ‘tune in next week’.”

“You mean it’s more real than drama?”

“Oh no, not more real—only a dream within a dream—even as this heaven is only a dream.”

“I pray that our Bala will come and visit us soon, Mother, and I wish that she could bring Madam.”

“Even I would like to see Madam,” said the queen, smiling. “I’ll promise you one thing! When Madam leaves the Earth plane, I will definitely make her a VIP in my stable of elephants. She came from there, you know. Now, will that make you happy?”

“Yes, Mother,” enthused all the lovely Shakthies. “Very, very happy. An elephant’s lifetime is only a blink of the eye for us.”

“But, not the dinosaurs!!”

“What, Mother?”

“That young lady told those dinosaurs ghosts that maybe her Divine Mother would build a dinosaur stable. Nothing doing.”

“Thank you, Mother, for letting us watch Bala’s holiday in Kodaikanal. Will she go on another holiday next summer?”

“I wouldn’t be at all surprised. I can hardly wait myself!!”