Chapter Nine - God is Love

Chapter Nine

God of Love

It was a sad day when Bala, Granny and the girls watched Adithya, in the Amby, driving Judge Sharma and Adiamma bach to Bangalore. Gopal had promised the Judge to check the faithfully everyday.

“We’re fine Gopal, don’t worry about us, perhaps we’ll see you tomorrow,” said Uma. Then she watched Gopal walk down the lawn to return to the stables. But, when they returned to their rooms, they were in for a shock.

A huge basket of red roses stood in front of Uma’s door—with a note: “Red is for roses and red is for blood.”

“Okay, I’m scared, let’s go home,” cried Mary.

“If you want to go home, Mary, I’ll take you myself,” said Granny.

“Now, wait a moment,” said Bala. “They must be scared too or they wouldn’t do dumb things like this.”

“I don’t care,” said Mary.

“Don’t you care about the trees?” asked Bala.

“But that’s what everyone says, Mary; let someone else worry about it and no one ever worries enough to anything.”

“When I leave Kodai, it isn’t going to be because I’m afraid,” said Uma.

“And it isn’t going to be someone else’s idea.” agreed Premala.

“Shall I book our seats?” asked Granny.

“No, I guess I’ll stay if you all really think we can do some good,” said Mary.

That afternoon, Gopal came by anyway, just to say hello. He was unnerved by the card and its message. But, after several games of Scrabble, a Coke and some finger chips, everyone was feeling a little braver. Uma told the housekeeper to place the roses in the lobby for the guests. 33

Gopal went home early and they went to bed by nine, as they planned to go riding the next day, no matter what. They hadn’t seen Rat’s Tail Fall, one of the highest falls in the world, and they hadn’t been through the museum at Holy Cross College. Bala wanted to see the orchidorium housed there.

The pounding on Granny’s door at midnight scared Bala out of her skin. Everyone was still half asleep, and it wasn’t clear whose bright idea it was to open the door and throw the bucket of water, but that’s what they did.

Bala held the bucket of cold water, and Granny opened the door very suddenly…SPLASH!!

“What…what’s going on…? Spit, gurgle…Bala, what the hell!!”

“Oh, no, Ajay, is that you? Oh, gosh! No one warned us or anything, Granny, it’s Ajay look!” and Bala ran into the bathroom to gather up all the towels she could find to dry her precious elder brother.

“Are you drowned?” laughed Granny.

Ajay staggered into the room and dropped into an easy chair, “I guess you weren’t expecting me, or were you?” he said with a laugh.

It has been over a year since Bala had seen her adapted brother. All the girls crowded into the room with staring eyes and open mouths to see the young man with large dark eyes, thick black lashes and classical straight nose. He was eighteen, and had suddenly grown up during the year he was at Mysore University.

He sat with his head laid back, dark curls plastered on his broad forehead. His soaked shirt adhered to his well-developed torso. In fact, he looked for all the world like the God of Love with a spray of jasmine tucked behind his ear. He had been abandoned at birth and because he wasn’t cared properly, his legs became deformed. But now, the legs were straight and strong as a result of a strict regime of exercise and diet. The daily workouts had also given him a wonderful physique, which now was the center of attention among these little girls, who were mesmerized and ga-ga eyed.