Chapter Twenty-One

The drive home had been nerve wrecking. It was dark and rainy outside and I wasn't focusing on my driving like I should have been. Luckily my house wasn't that far from the Fassbenders' home.

Half way to my house, something told me to call Carlisle. So I did. I explained all that happened and even mentioned Michael's "proposal."

"And what did you say? Yes? You said yes, didn't you," Carlisle asked. "You really would."

"I didn't give him an answer! He gave me until Friday," I replied. "But here's the thing, C. He threatened my sister and my dad! What am I supposed to do then?"

The line went quiet.  "Oh. There's nothing you can do."

"Can't we turn him in?" I pulled into my driveway and parked, looking at the facade of my home.

"We don't have proof, Tia."

"Lets act like we do and just plant things places," I said, climbing out of my car. "Won't that work?"

"In theory, yes. But we don't know how," Carlisle replied. We both took a minute as I walked up to the door. "Look, just say yes for now, okay? I'll get him to postpone the ceremony or court house trip or whatever until we can get rid of him some how."

I sighed and reached for the door before it swung open. A young, caramel colored girl was coming outside with my dad behind her. The girl was a McCray student but I've never spoken to her.

"Oh, I'm sorry," she stepped out if my way once she noticed me.

"Carlisle, let me call you back," I spoke into the phone then hung up. Walking inside, I looked at my dad, waiting for an explanation as to why she was there.

"Oh, Tia. This is Arianna. She and the other officers stopped by for my birthday," Dad smiled at her then me.

"Your birthday isn't until tomorrow," I said.

"I know but we're rehearsing until ten tomorrow so they stopped by early."

I nodded and gave her a grin. "Nice to meet you, Arianna. Thanks for stopping by for Dad."

She shrugged. "It was no problem. Mr. Hiddleston's a great guy. He deserves a lot for all that he's going for our theatre program."

I nodded again, still holding my smile. I noticed how close they were to each other. Our foyer was not a small space. I was standing pretty far away from them. Give each other some space! Damn!

Finally getting tired of the awkwardness, I went up to my room and shut the door. Laying back on my bed, I stared at the ceiling and closed my eyes. My imagination ran wild with what may or may not happen within the next few months. It was frightening, yet it didn't seem so bad.

My mind also drifted to the questions of if I wasn't so scared of Michael, how would I really feel about him? If he hadn't killed his wife would I still want him? I genuinely did not know what the hell the answers were.

What was funny, was that I never questioned so many things before Michael and I "got together." I was never so scared or afraid that I wouldn't wake up the next morning. I always thought I'd have nothing to worry about. When I was with Michael, I had to be careful. It was as if I was walking around nails or egg shells.

Lights burst into my room, shutting the door quietly behind her. "Did you see her?!"

"See who?" I replied in a groan.

"The lil light skin Dad had in here!" She took a few steps to the window and peaked out. "She's still here! Bruh. On God. If they fuckin, I'm beatin Dad's ass."

"Lights, Chill. I'm sure they're just discussing theatre shit." I shrugged.

"Nah! But look how close they are, T! He in that. I know it. I know my dad."

I rolled my eyes and got up, peaking out the window. Dad and Arianna were leaning against the car in deep conversation about God knows what. He looked genuinely happy. So did she.

What the hell was going on this month? All this shit with Michael was going on and now my father is talking to some chick that was my age! But could I even be mad at him for that when I'm literally in her same position?

"I ain't wit it," Lights admitted. "I think Dad would look cute with Ms. Whiteside. You know they be flirting too."

"Really?" I frowned a little. "I'll need to get down to the bottom of that.. but Lights, what if Dad really likes her?"

"You so dumb." She shook her head and folded her arms. "That's a baby out there, Tia! That nigga jugged the whole damn cradle! How you think he would feel if you had a sugar daddy?"

I shrugged again. "Shit, Lights! I don't know! I never planned on really telling him!"

She squinted her eyes and tilted her head. "Pause. What? What you got goin on?"

Aw hell. See what I mean about walking around egg shells? Now Lights had to know the full truth. I didn't think I was ready to tell her yet. But I had to. I didn't have a choice.

************************

Hey, inkers!
So I'm back for a little bit. School is kicking ass again and I've been trying to get a new cover for this book together and I've been struggling. So if you know anyone that could make good book covers, let me know 😊

Lucky for y'all, I already have the next chapter started. I just have to come up with how to finish it 😬

OH BEFORE I FORGET!!
To read more about Arianna and Tom's story, read Suddenly by me! I'm only in like chapter 2 right now, but I'm getting there.

I love y'all so so much! Thank you for sticking around!!

~Shann