Chapter Twenty-two

I took the ring from my jewelry box, admiring the way it shined under my lamp. It was 24 carats with a rose gold band. He knew I hated gold but loved rose gold. Silver would have worked fine but he really wanted to get me what I liked.

It had been a month since the engagement and three weeks since I was elected for homecoming court. Tonight was the night of the homecoming game when we played Vince high school. It was also the night when the queen would be crowned. Earlier that day, Ryan had been crowned king at our school's pep rally. The chances that I would win as well were quite low to me.

My dress was a maroon color, dipped in glitter from the top of the dress down. The bottom flared out like a wedding dress. Lights straightened my hair so it pooled down my back. Of course I wore the jewelry that Ryan had gifted me. I felt so beautiful, especially after Michael had complimented me so many times when i sent him a picture of myself once I was fully ready.

He'd been so nice recently. I didn't feel so threatened.I actually began to think that he actually might have loved me by the way he treated me like I created the moon, the stars, and the poetry that came with it. He'd told me that even if I didn't win the crown that night, I won the reign over his heart. That man knew how to make me feel special. Really special. In and out of bed.

My dad came into the living room wearing his black suit and burgundy tie. "Alright, Miss Homecoming Court. Let's get in the car."

I looked around to give myself some time to think and check myself before nodding and heading out to the car. Dad opened the door for me and let me in. Sitting down, I had to take a few breaths. This was really happening. I was on the homecoming court and I had a chance to win! If there was one reason for me to thank Ryan, it would be for this. The question still stood. Why me?

"Do you think you're going to win?" Dad got in the car and started it, glancing at me. He pulled out if the driveway smoothly.

I shrugged. "I'm not sure that I am. But I really want to."

"Confidence, Miss Hiddleston. Confidence. If you know you can, then you can."

"Dad, can I remind you that the votes are already counted," I informed. "There's not much I can do."

"What did I say? Don't worry about that," he continued driving on the dark road. "Confidence. Even if you didn't win the crown, you won to me."

I uncontrollably smirked. My dad was always one-hundred percent supportive of me and what I wanted to accomplish. Even if it was something silly. I was going to miss him once I left to live with Michael.. whenever or wherever that may be. I looked at him and sighed. "Thank you for everything, Dad. Really. Everything."

He frowned a little with a small tug at his lips. "You're welcome, but what made you get all sweet?"

"Well, you know. I'll be leaving for college soon. I won't be able to visit as much as I want to. UGA isn't that close to home."

"You'll still be back every now and then, love. I'll be right here. I'm not going anywhere," he assured me. "But look, you have a whole nother semester in front of you. Saver it."

I nodded again. "I will.." From then on out, I decided to do exactly that. Saver the moments. Push the fear aside and just do things. Of course think about it first.

I kept forgetting that Dad knew nothing about Michael and I. I'd told Lights about everything except his threatening and his capability. I know, I was stupid to not tell her but it was to keep her from doing something completely stupid. I knew my sister. She would have told the police then had herself killed. Lights cursed me out for sleeping with an older man but more so because of who the man was. Then she praised me for pulling a "DILF."

I still didn't know how or when I was going to explain the situation to Dad. I didn't even know if I was going to explain it to him. It would have been a good idea, thinking back on it now. I just couldn't be sure about doing it.

Once getting on the field after taking pictures with the other homecoming court girls, I began to get more nervous than before. What if I tripped? What if I really didn't win? What if I did?!

My name was called over the speakers and I began walking with my arm hooked around my dad's. The announcer told the student body who my escort was (even though they all knew, those hormonal bitches always swooned over my father,) the clubs I was involved in, my favorite past times, and the college that I was attending. I don't think I realized how much I was involved in until then. Theatre, Spanish club, Principal's advisory board, photography, yearbook, and writer's club if I ever went. Too bad I had to throw it all away to be a house wife.

The farther I walked, I noticed more and more of the people that I knew personally. Michael sat at the top of the bleachers next to month and a half pregnant Rebecca and Carlisle. Lights sat with her large group of friends. The most lively people I've ever known. The whole time I was being described, they were lit. Jumping and shouting my name with my normal lunch table friends. I was so glad they all got along. It was easier for Lights and I to go out together. We both had groups that loved each other and supported each other. Hell, they even planned a homecoming party if I won. I was definitely going to miss them.

Once all names were called, I stood with the other senior candidates, waiting to hear the results.

Ms Whiteside and Coach Cumberlorde  stood side by side, dressed as if they were on the way to a wedding and holding the results in a burgundy and gold envelope. McCray colors.

"And Robert McCray High School's 2016 Homecoming queen is," Ms Whiteside spoke into the microphone with a wide smile on her face. She knew exactly who the winner was. After all, she was the homecoming chairman, Coach Cumberlorde was the co-chairman.

McCray's favorite "couple" both opened the envelope together, taking out the crisp paper. They both read in agreement and looked at the student body as it got quiet.

"Tia Hiddleston!!!"

My hands automatically went to cover my dropped jaw. I couldn't believe my ears so I trusted my eyes to tell me the truth. I looked around to see all the other candidates smile at me and reach for a hug.

Tears sprung to my eyes as 2015's homecoming queen placed the crown on top of my head. Ryan came up to me and walked me to the middle of the field. We reigned as Homecoming King and Queen. I still had to blink and punch myself to make sure I this was all real.

I looked at my friends to see how hype they were. Becky and Michael smiled as Michael clapped and Becky kept her seat. She and Michael were fine while she still hated me. Carlisle gave a smirk.

Before I could lift my hand to wave at the McCray fans, Ryan took my hand and pulled me close to his chest and kissed me deeply, making the crowd roar louder than before. I kissed back without thinking about my surroundings.

Someone was going to be angry.. and it wasn't the school staff.

*******************

When you know you finna die 😂😂

Anyway, hey y'all. How are you?

RISE UP FALCONS!!! RISE UP!
Even though they're probably gonna lose. I'll still show my support 😁

I love y'all! Thank you so much for reading!

Get ready for the next chapter!!

~Shann