14- Maybe Not Magic

I wasn’t nervous. Unlike the first party where there was a digging hole in my stomach that only grew bigger as time passed, I was actually excited for this next one. I had expected my overwhelming dread for this party to wash over me when I started getting dressed but with Paige and Sophie there with me in my room, I didn’t feel any of that.

I was actually excited to spend the night with my new friends from the team. Even the creep who had touched my butt didn’t deter my good mood. I was dressed much more conservatively than I was the first time- wearing a simple black floral dress that almost went to my knees and had short sleeves without showing too much cleavage. Because this party was at the lake, I wore a pink bikini underneath it. We weren’t actually going to swim but it was Sophie’s idea and I decided to humor her.

“You should wear these,” Paige told me tossing a pair of tan wedge heels on my bed. “They match your dress way more than they match mine.”

“What are you going to wear then?” I wondered as Sophie was braiding my hair. I knew how to braid my own hair but she insisted and I didn’t mind letting her do it.

“I brought back up,” She grinned jokingly as she pulls out another pair of heels from her bag. She was dressed in a black skirt and a bright red cropped top while Sophie had one a tight dress that dipped low in the front and went about midway down her thigh.

The party was already going on outside, I could see everybody dancing around outside through my window. There was a bonfire set up away from the lake and then there was a table full of food and alcoholic drinks and the loud music was booming so loud that I could clearly hear the songs from my room. It’s fortunate that the house was so remote or they’d drive their neighbors crazy all of the time.

“Okay, all set,” Sophie announced from behind me and then I slipped on the shoes that Paige had given me before we all took a pit stop to the bathroom to make sure that our makeup wasn’t smudged.

“Let’s go party,” Paige grinned, almost jumping up and down from the excitement. She’d never been to one of the Fisher’s parties so I guess I could understand her excitement considering all of the rumors that circulate around these things. So far, I’d heard so many insane stories about the parties that have happened over the years at this house- from when the oldest Fisher, Owen, was in high school until now.

And so we all left my room and then we went down the stairs and out the back door of the house, locking the door behind me because nobody was allowed in the house this time just to make sure that people weren’t stealing or making a mess in the house without anybody else in there. That was something Tommy had said before he left the house to spend the night with Anna because unlike Andy, he’d left his partying days in high school.

Immediately, when we got outside, I noticed Will and Andy standing near the drinks table so I started walking in their direction and Paige and Sophie followed me, although I heard a few bitter mumbles from Sophie.

“Hey,” I greeted them when I got there but Andy just glared at me, still not over the spider prank that I’d pulled on him two weeks ago. He sure did know how to keep grudges, I’ll give him that. For the first week, he wouldn’t talk to me at all but then during the second week, he improved to speaking to me but glaring while he did so.

“It took you long enough to get down here,” Will teased, pulling me into a weird hug and then kissing my cheek. I could already smell the hint of stinging alcohol so I assumed that he was already at least a little bit drunk.

“We had to be fashionably late,” Paige informed him, eyeing our surroundings as if she was about to explore a new planet or something. Her eyes were bright with curiosity and excitement, ready to explore this new place. She then turned to Andy and offered him a polite smile. “Anyway, I don’t think we’ve met. I’m Paige and this is my friend, Sophie.”