25- Beautiful and Infinite

“How do you feel about skipping class for today and tomorrow?” Carter asked me when I got downstairs to eat breakfast on Thursday morning.

I gave him an apprehensive stare. “Skeptical. Why?”

He offered me a boyish grin and I could feel my heart skip a few beats before continuing like normal. “Because our second date is a bit of a doozy.”

“It’s an overnight thing?” I wondered as I made myself a bowl of cereal and then sat across from him at the dining room table along with Will, who was hurriedly finishing some math homework that he had failed to do the night before, which was typical for him.

“It’s actually a four day long thing- until Sunday. So are you in? My dad already agreed to call us out of school,” Carter added the last part just to make sure that I wouldn’t complain about getting in trouble, which I was about to do.

I opened my mouth to say that missing two days of school was too much, that I’d miss too much material just to go on an extravagant date with Carter. However, what came out of my mouth was, “Sure. When do we leave?” I mean, who needs school anyway?

“Right now,” He said with a small grin.

“If we’re going to be gone for four days, shouldn’t I pack clothes?” I raised my eyebrows at him. I was still tired from waking up so early for school but I couldn’t deny the beat of excitement that I could feel running through my veins at the opportunity to spend four whole days alone with Carter. What we would talk about, what we would do. It just sounded like so much fun already and I had no idea where we were going yet.

“Sophie packed for you,” He supplied, of course he had an answer for everything. “So when you’re finished eating, we can go.”

“What about my laptop? Did she pack that?” I asked him, feeling nervous about living four days solely out of a bag that Sophie packed. Not that I didn’t trust Sophie, because I did, but that was just a huge leap of faith and it made me nervous.

“I’m pretty sure she did, yes,” He confirmed with a nod. “Would you like to go upstairs and check?”

“No,” I sighed, not wanting to seem too uptight about just going with the flow, living in the moment. “I guess I’ll trust her judgment.”

“Good,” He smiled at me, leaning over and kissing my cheek. Will fake gagged but we both ignored him. “Now hurry up and eat.”

“Excited?”

“Very,” He confirmed.

His excitement rubbed off on me after a while so I finished my bowl of cereal as quickly as possible and then rinsed it out in the sink before we said goodbye to Will, who was still furiously working away at his math homework at the table, and then we were out of the house and riding in Carter’s car to wherever it was that he was taking me.

“Can I at least get a little hint?” I asked him on the way.

He stubbornly shook his head. “Nope.”

“Is it a hotel?”

“I’m not saying.”

“You’re impossible,” I decided with a small giggle as I realized that he wasn’t going to give it up so I should just stop trying. I’d see soon enough where he was taking me.

“I’m not,” He argued with a small laugh, reaching over to take my hand in his and rest our entwined hands on the center console. “I’m just good at keeping secrets. And I want it to be a surprise.”

“You are very good at surprises,” I agreed, thinking back to last weekend when he’d taken me to the corn field for that very fancy dinner. I still hadn’t figured out how he pulled that off or how the waiter navigated through those fields. And trust me, I’d asked plenty of times but never got anywhere.