20- Half Time

Although being the athlete at a sporting event is fun, being in the bleachers is great too. I got to find out on the next Tuesday, when Carter had his first basketball game at home and everybody was going to cheer him on. I was sitting on the top bleacher with the three other Fishers (excluding the two ominous older Fishers and the two younger ones who were at home with Tom) and then Sophie was on Andy’s arm while I sat between Will and Paige and then Anna was sitting on the other side of Tommy at the other end.

To be honest, I wasn’t really a basketball fan and I didn’t really understand the sport except for the fact that the ball had to get into the hoop but I didn’t understand the difference between one pointers and three pointers or anything like that. I did know that the Jaguars were winning but that was only because of the score board on the right side of the court. I also didn’t know why this game was happening because the real season didn’t start for months so this game just didn’t make any sense.

At half time, the cheer leaders consumed the basketball court to do some peppy cheer and intimidating flips while Andy decided that he was hungry and that he wanted to go get something to eat. Will agreed with him so they all decided that food was a good option since it was now halftime.

“I’ll stay and keep our seats,” I said, deciding that I didn’t want to have to go through the hassle of everybody fighting through the concessions at half time. I wasn’t really good in tight groups so I was fine just sitting on the bleachers until they got back.

I gave Paige some money so that she could buy me a hot dog and then all six of them disappeared down the bleachers of the high school gymnasium. Halftime didn’t last as long as I thought that it would and by the time that the game was starting up again, none of my friends had returned to their seats yet.

I texted Paige to let her know that the game was starting and she told me that they were still in line and starving so unwilling to abandon their place in line to come back to the game, which meant that I was stuck watching by myself for a while.

Keeping my eyes on Carter, who was number 39, I watched as he ran up the court, towards the opponent’s basket and then his teammate passed him the ball before he ran toward the basket, did some mind trickery to avoid one of the opponent’s white jerseys, and then he jumped into the air, tossing the ball right into the basket with a victorious swish.

Automatically, I jumped to my feet and started cheering with the rest of the people on the bleachers, eager to see our team up by even some more points.

“Go Carter!” I screeched excitedly as I clapped my hands and cheered him on although I was all the way in the back and he probably couldn’t see me.

“You’re a fan?” Somebody wondered, approaching me on the bleachers. I looked over to a guy that looked a bit too old to be at a high school basketball game- or at a high school in general- and he was intimidatingly tall as he stood right next to me with a charming half-smile plastered on his face, waiting for a response.

“Yeah, you could say that,” I nodded hesitantly.

“Well, don’t get your hopes up. He has a girlfriend,” The stranger told me with a little laugh as if that was an inside joke. I didn’t get it.

“They broke up a while ago, actually,” I told the guy although I wasn’t sure why, it probably wasn’t any of the old guy’s business. Well, he wasn’t that old- maybe thirty or something- but he was old enough to be creepy at a high school.

“No, I’m not talking about that one,” He shook his head. “I meant a new one. Doesn’t he have a girlfriend?”

“I don’t think so,” I mumbled, deciding that this guy was incredibly creepy. Looking over his shoulder, I tried to see if any of my friends were returning but I couldn’t see them coming up the stairs yet. I wished that they’d hurry.