23- Corn is Cool

When I had asked for Sophie and Paige’s help to get ready for my semi-date with Carter, I hadn’t expected the theatric performance that had come my way that night.

Sophie had brought basically a whole closet of things while Paige basically lugged a whole suitcase of makeup into my room a few hours before I was go to out with Carter. They had enough supplies to dress all of Broadway.

“We wanted you to be able to choose,” Sophie had explained after I was dressed and they were fussing over what kind of makeup I should wear. I’d only asked them over because I wasn’t sure what type of thing I should wear to this ‘date’, not to get a huge makeover with ten different types of foundation and three eye shadows for a smoky look, as Paige explained it.

“Fashion is kind of my thing,” Sophie explained to me. “I know that I go overboard with it but I like it. Pucker your lips.”

“She does,” Paige agreed. “And after a while, I started getting into it with her. It kind of rubs off on you after a while.”

“When are you leaving with Carter?” Sophie asked me with a look of concentration on her face, looking as focused as a surgeon going into his fifth hour of open heart surgery.

“We have ten minutes,” Paige answered for me since Sophie was targeting my lips with a glossy coat of pink. I hoped that I wasn’t going to be over dressed for this date thing with Carter. If I was, I was fully prepared to blame it all on Sophie and her overexcitement for fashion and a love for fancy makeup. It really wasn’t my fault.

With five minutes to go, there was a knock on the door and Paige, being the only one unoccupied, went to open it and then Will came walking through the door and then into the room that had echoed scents of perfume and eye shadow.

“Is somebody getting married or something?” He wondered, noticing the dramatics of the situation with clothes splayed all over my bed from earlier in the evening when we had scoured through all of Sophie’s clothes that she brought for something that I could wear. We’d finally settled on what I was wearing now- a pink floral dress and a light pink cardigan.

“What do you want? We’re just a tad bit busy in here,” Sophie told him, glancing up at him before she went back to finishing up the last minute touch ups on my face.

“Wow, Maddie, you look beautiful,” Will told me and I blushed but I was sure that nobody could tell considering how much makeup I was wearing.

“Thanks,” I breathed and then endured a heavy scowl from Sophie for moving my face, which I wasn’t allowed to do until she was finished.

“Um. Anyway, Carter wanted to tell you that he’s ready whenever you are and that he’s downstairs in the living room waiting for you. Have fun on your date tonight,” He offered me a small smile before he turned and left the room again.

“Well, that was weird,” Paige mumbled. “Was there ever something between you two that we should know about?”

“No, it was nothing,” I sighed, not wanting to think about Will when I was about to go on a date with Carter. What happened with Will felt like forever ago so right now didn’t feel like the best time to bring it up again. “And it was a long time ago. We kissed once, that was it.”

Scandalous,” Sophie grinned jokingly at me as she stepped away from me and then handed me a mirror. “What do you think?”

I looked at my reflection in the mirror and I was surprised- I barely recognized myself under all of the makeup, but in a good way. I mean, I did my own makeup sometimes and I was okay at it but Sophie was like an expert. With a wide glossy smile, I nodded. “You’re really good at this, Soph.”