III.

Ashnar was awaken by a gentle shake on her shoulder, angering her because she was having a nice dream about what she thought America was like. 

"We're going on that adventure. Be excited! We'll have a grand time," Mother beamed, pulling open the thin cloth covering a small window. Ashnar groaned as she sat up, sleepily stretching. She did not want an adventure. She wanted to go back to sleep.

When Mother left the room, Ash stepped onto the cold wooden planks beneath her and shuddered. She grabbed her nicest dress from her closet; it was one of Mother's old dresses. She grabbed the rest of her clothing, which wasn't much, and stuffed it into a satchel. Then she got her most precious belongings and wrapped them in the clothes. She slipped on her boots, slung the satchel on her shoulder, then walked out of her room. Ash found her mother waiting for her by the door, also holding a satchel. She smiled seeing Mother's hair done the way she loved it. Her mother had beautiful long hair, which was usually down and tangled. But today she had it fashioned in a braid, with her bangs in ringlets framing her face. 

"Ready to go, Ash Rose?" 

They started out into the fresh morning air, Mother shutting the heavy, wooden door of their home. It was eerie, the fog settling and swirling on the ground. The ground was damp from the nightly rain they always get. As the pair walked, Ash mentally questioned what was going to happen to her in the years to come. Am I going to be able to go to America? Am I going to have to stay here in Cairnholm and live off of nothing? Where are we even going now? Am I going to someone for Mother to leave me there? The thought of her mother leaving her anywhere terrified the teen. She had nothing on this planet other than her mother. 

"Will I come back, Mama?" The brunette whispered to her mother as they passed smelly pastures and early rising farmers.

"Well of course, Ashnar. We are only walking for now, " She said without looking at Ash, but squeezing her hand. Ash was really hoping that is a promise.

They had to walk through a disgusting bog, causing Ash's shoes to get covered in muck. When they reached a creek, Mother allowed her to wash her shoes and legs off. Ash sloshed around in the bubbling water, while Mother sat on the bank and watched the birds circling above them. Ash looked up at the trees when she climbed out, the only slight color against the forever grey sky.

They reached a big tunnel, carved out of rock. It terrified the girl, for it was scary and dark. It got smaller and darker as it went, the walls were slimy, and it smelled moldy.

Mother turned to her and smiled, "Are you ready to go in, Ashnar?"

Ash gave an uncertain side glance to her. What on earth could be so great that was on the other side of this? More cow crap and dirty water? 

"I suppose so."

Mother helped Ash through the small opening, and followed. Something felt different in the air as she passed, making her ears pop and head feel heavy. Ash came out on the other side to a bright light in her face, and she thought she was dreaming, or dead. Mother, who came out behind Ash, let out a choked gasp.

"Ashnar, have you any idea of where you are?"

She put her hand over her eyes, and scanned the grounds she stood on. She realized that the bright light was the sun. She also discovered that this was the place that Mother spoke about. 

Mother bent down to Ash's height, and she saw she held tears in her brown eyes. Her pale lips trembled before softly saying, "My darling child, take this."

She pulled out a yellowed folded paper and shoved it into the pocket of Ash's coat. "You need to go straight over the hill, until you find a large house. The orphanage. Miss Peregrine."

She held out her hand to the direction Ash needed to go in. Ash only stood there with wide eyes, taking in deep breaths. 

"Run as fast as your legs will carry you. If you come across anyone, just say you need to go to the orpan house, and tell whoever you see at that house that you are Elizabeth Apiston's daughter. Don't trust anyone unless they are in that house. They will help you and take care of you, my little Ash Rose. I love you baby, I will visit you again. I love you, Ashnar, be careful. I love you, Ash." 

Ash felt dizzy on her feet, and in her head. Will I get to see her again? Should I say no? What might happen to me? The questions flooded in as Ash hugged Mother back, with no realization of what she was doing. Then Mother told her to go, kissed her, and left back through the hole in the rock. Ash stood there for a minute, wanting to cry, but taking in everything and getting her thoughts straightened out. Then Ashnar ran.

She ran over the hill and saw the most beautiful, biggest house. She slowed her pace to a fast walk as she reached a garden, with giant bushes that were formed into the shape of animals and other spectacular objects. Ash hesitated before continuing, admiring the glory of this garden. She felt as though she was going to faint, or throw up, or both. My mother just left me in a new world, unfamiliar to me. In a place I had doubted many times of its exsistence. Then she just walked away. Not even visiting her old friends and seeing the place. Just leaving me with a note and telling me to run. Why, Mother?

Ash walked up the steps of the large house, so shakily she believed she would fall down them, and then knocked three unsteady knocks on the wooden door.