13. back to reality

"What happened with therapy?" Mom asked her face turning a light shade of red

"I don't need to go anymore mom." I pleaded.

She winced at the thought and took a quick sip from her glass of wine. "Yes you do Scarlett! I'm just trying to help you."

"I'm fine! I don't need to talk to a stranger about my problems." I said.

I really don't and maybe it's not necessarily a good thing to keep your feelings all balled up. But it works for me and it always has. "Stop trying to push me away mom." I yelled standing up and running up to my room. I slammed the door behind me shut.

The past is in the past. I'm fine now and she needs to understand that.

I had other things to worry about. For example I needed to find a way to get rid of that stupid diary I decided to take! Cassie definitely knew something that I didn't. But what?

---

It's Monday morning, and for some reason today, I just realized that I'm a mess. First I have to deal with Ava then I have to deal with Jace and Alex. It's all too stressful.

"Hey Scar." Ava said.

I turn around to see Ava. She looks different. Her usually curly blonde hair is a mess and her beautiful green eyes are red and puffy.

"Ava what happened?" I asked automatically opening my arms for a hug. "Have you been crying?"

"JJ broke up with me." She says wiping away tears.

I gasped my mouth turning into my O-shape. "Really? This morning he seemed alright. He didn't mention anything to me."

"Yeah that's because he's leaving today." She said cringing at the thought.

"He's what?" I asked completely dumbfounded.

Ava laughed humorlessly. "Yeah, he said that he's going back to school and it's too hard for him to see me." She shook her head violently. "You know with the age difference and all."

I squinted my eyes at her. "What does that even mean? Are you saying that he's just leaving without saying goodbye?"

She nods her head slowly. Indicating that he is in fact leaving without saying goodbye. That's totally unlike JJ. He's always happy, and goofy always putting a smile on my face. Why would he leave without at least a goodbye? Or even a text? "Why would he do that to you Ava? He said goodbye and left like everything was okay. Is he actually leaving for good?"

"He seemed on edge to me." She said tears rolling down her face.

I wiped them away and hugged her tighter. "Do you want to skip class today?"

She shook her head no and let go. "I'm fine, let's go before we're late."

We walked down the hall together until we had to split up. I went to math class and she went to science.

I went in and sat in my usual seat next to Jace. I tried to pay no attention to him because he's trouble and he's really hard to read. He always has that same blank expression. In math class I don't really listen like ever. Maybe I should because it's not that I'm not smart, I'm just not the smartest.

"Scarlett," Mrs. Rogers called my name.

I immediately looked up at her. "Yes?"

Mrs. Rogers sighed. "You're with Alex."

"With Alex for what?" I asked frowning.

Mrs Rogers rolled her eyes. "You need to pay attention more in class Ms. Everwood." She paused telling the class to quiet down. "You're partnered with Alex for the assignment. You must all pick a topic that has to do with a mental illness and indicate how many people have it around the world."

I glanced over at Alex. Why did I have to be partnered with Alex? To be honest, that boy gives me the creeps. His face was emotionless. I couldn't tell if he was happy or not. All I knew was I sure as hell wasn't happy.

I let out a small huff and turned around accidentally sneaking a quick glance at Jace. His blue eyes were cold as if he was mad. But mad about what?

----

I walked down the busy halls. Finally ready to go home after this crazy day.

Then suddenly someone pulled my wrist. I immediately flinched and pulled my arm back. I turned around to see Alex, confusion written all over his face.

"I'm sorry, I just wanted to see when we can meet up." He said his eyes flickering to different parts of my face.

"Today?" I asked.

"Sure, " He nodded. "just where?"

"Your house, if that's fine?" I said slowly.

"Yeah it's fine." He said as an evil smile grew to lips which creeped me out.

"Let me give you my number so I can text you my address." I said reaching out for his phone.

"No that's fine, I already have your number." He said simply smiling.

How did he get my number? I don't remember giving it to him.

He saw my confused expression and quickly said, "I asked Cassie for it."

I remember giving Cassie my number. I guess it makes sense that she would give it to him if he asked.

"I'll text you so that you'll have my number saved, then text me your address."

"Right." I said rising an eyebrow. "I'll see you later Alex." I said turning on my heel to catch up with Ava.

"Ava wait," I called after her. She turned around and smiled warmly.

"Hey Scar, what's up?" She asked slowing down a little. I'm happy that she's happy. JJ wasn't a good idea. I could see it from a mile away, as sad as it sounds. Leo and Ava would have probably had a better chance.

"Do you know anything about Alex James?" I asked.

She shook her head. "No, why?"

"Oh, it's nothing really. He's just acting kind of strange."

"How so?" She asked squinting her eyebrows together.

"I don't know really. It's just that we have to do a project together, and he kind of gives me the creeps." I shrugged.

"Really?" She asked surprised. 

"Yeah..." I trailed off. "I have to go to ballet. I'll see you after though."