Chapter Three

Standing in my room, getting ready for a night out dancing brought the worst case of Deja Vu. My heart was pumping ice through my veins and I could feel the prickling sensations down my back and over my scars. Shaking my head, I reached for my keys and bounded down the stairs. Sara had gotten here just a couple of minutes before and was talking in the kitchen with my mom. "You girls have a fun time tonight. What time should we expect you home?"

"Well, we are going to eat first, then dancing. It's only seven now, but I shouldn't be home past one. It is Sunday after all." I paused and I hugged my mom. "Plus, I have that interview tomorrow."

"Of course, be safe. If you come home early and we aren't here, don't worry. We are picking Laurelli up from a friends house around 10:30."

"Okay, love you." And with that, we were off for a fun night out.

"Carolyn, Carolyn Wells, is that you?!" If I hear that one more time tonight, I am going to stab my ears out. I know it has been five years since I stepped foot in this town, but please, people. Give it a friggin' rest already. Turning towards the voice after a monstrous eye roll, I plastered a smile on my face and greeted Cindy Marshall, the school gossip. From what I heard tonight, she still was. "Hey, Cindy. How are you?"

"Oh, you know, same old, same old. Tom and I tied the knot last year and now we are expecting our first in December. Our perfect little Christmas present. How about you?" She said this with a sad confused face which concerned me. I shrugged it off figuring the alcohol was making me paranoid.

"Great actually." I reached behind me to grab my whisky sour from the counter. "I just graduated from U of M and I already have interview lined up for tomorrow at Marx, Inc. as an assistant. But you have to work from the bottom up I guess."

Her brows furrowed together as she tipped her head to side. "Huh." She glanced behind her then back to me, penetrating me with her gaze. "Aren't you afraid?"

"Sure, the interview has me nervous, but I am sure I will do just fine." I smiled back at her. A little perplexed by her accusation.

"Not of that, of him...you know...Jason." Spots danced in front of my eyes and a wave of dizziness hit.

"W-why should I-I be afraid?" I backed up until I was leaning against the bar for support.

"Well, he was released last week." Glass shattering was the next thing I heard as liquid shot across my leg. My whisky sour slipped from my fingers and I grabbed my chest, trying to steady my heart. This can't be happening, this can't be happening, this can't be happening. I kept repeating to myself as my panic attack started to set in.

"Carolyn...Sweetie, are you okay? Dammit Cindy, what did you say to her!" Glancing at towards Sara after her I outburst. I could see she gave Cindy a look that meant, tell me now bitch before I slap you.

"She didn't know...I can't believe she didn't know that Jason was out." Sara's eyes flashed wide then narrowed with anger.

"You think telling her that while she is in public and drunk was a good idea? If I didn't have to get her home, I would slap the shit out of you!" She then stepped up to me giving me a reassuring smile, "come on sweetie, let's get you home. It has been a long night." Wrapping her arm around my waist, I leaned my head on top of hers and we walked out to her car.

Our car ride by was pretty uneventful. We rode in silence as the questions and scenarios went running ramped in my mind. How can he be out already? Is he really better? Will he try to see me again? Will he hurt me? Does he even know that I am home? We pulled into my driveway and I was surprised to see my car gone and my parents car still in the drive. I tried calling my mom to ask, but the call went through to voicemail.

"Do you want me to stick around until somebody else gets home?"

"That would be great, where can they be?" I glanced around the front of the house as we entered through the foyer. "Hey Laur! Laur! Are you home?"

"Didn't your mom say something about picking your sister up tonight?"

"Yea, yea, that right, she did. I am glad you remembered, because I was starting to freak out." Sara and I went into the living room and turned on some reruns of Duck Dynasty. That show always makes me laugh. Ridiculous is what it is, but laughing was good. I must have dozed off because I was startled when my phone started buzzing. It was Laur. "Hey, Laur, what's up?"

"Are Mom and Dad there? They were supposed to pick me up almost an hour ago." I glanced at my phone to check the time and it was 10:55. They were supposed to pick her up at Ten. I have been home since 10:15 myself.

"I am sure they will be there soon. I have been home for about forty minutes and they were gone before I got here."

"Care, I am only 2 miles away..." Our call was disturbed by a knock at the front door. I glanced Sara and then the door.

"Laur, I'll call you right back." My heart was beating through my chest and I am sure that my trepidation was mirrored in Sara's eyes. "Sara, stay next to me. This doesn't feel right." We both approached to door as the knock came again. "Who's there?" I called as I looked up to the peek hole. My heart dropped and hands fell at what I saw on the other side of the door. My horror only increased as I heard the voice, "This is the Arizona State Police. May we please come in?"

***Feedback is welcome. Voting is appreciated!***