Chapter Twenty-One (Unedited)

Deciding for a little bit of normal after last night, we planned to spend the afternoon next door with Chris, Jenna,  and Izzy.  I just love that little girl to pieces.  She is so joyful and carefree. Liam is so good with her too.  He truly is going to make a great father one day.  I can only hope that it will be with me.  As soon as we step inside their house, Izzy runs to Liam and leaps into his out stretched arms. "Uncle Liam!  Let's go, let's go!"  She is practically vibrating in his arms. The adoration in his eyes is enough to my ovaries cry.  He really is perfect.  

   "Where to buttercup?", He smiles down at her.  

   "To the stars!  Let's go reach the stars!"  This took me back to when I first learned his name.  I was in the backyard with Izzy, pushing her on the swing and we were trying to reach the stars. That was the first time that I saw Liam for the man that he truly is.  The warm-hearted, loving, fierce protector that he is.  His eyes reach mine, asking permission.

  "Izzy, make a wish on one for me if you reach them."  I respond back, showing that it was okay to leave my side.  I could tell that he wasn't sure if he should leave me, but how could I ever step between the sexiest thing I have ever witnessed with my eyes.  Liam with a child.  I daydream a dream I shouldn't dare to dream until Jason was caught.  Images of Liam with our child flashed before my eyes.  Just as suddenly as they appeared, images form last night's nightmare flash as a warning.

   "Would you like a cup of coffee?"  Jenna asked and I quickly snap out of my thoughts.

   "That would be great.  Cream and sugar please.  I am going to step outside."

   Jenna passes me a steaming cup of coffee on her back deck and sat next to me. "So, Anne, you look a little tired today.  How are you holding up?"  She hit the nail on the head.  I am tired.  I am so fucking tired.  I am tired of hiding, tired of being afraid, tired of not having my little sister with me.  I haven't had much contact with her over the past few weeks.  I don't know how to talk to her and tell her that everything is fine when it is not.  I know she can see the change in me.  I want her safe and happy, but nothing I am doing right now is making her happy.  She can read me better than anyone and if I talk to her for any length of time, I know she will be able to see something major is going down right now and the stress it is causing.  On the flip side, my avoiding conversation is also taking a toll.  I just don't know what to do anymore.  The stress was really getting to me and my dream last night just punctuated it.  After waking up screaming, Liam held me for hours, trying to comfort me.  He whispered how I was okay and that everything was going to turn out just fine, that he was going to protect me.  I just wanted to scream to him, 'who is going to protect you?!'.   I laid awake in his arms long after sleep took him.  I was too afraid to close my eyes, fearing that I would return to the horror of my nightmare, where Jason could finish his job.  Staying awake was not much better. I could still feel the ghost of pain on my stomach from where Jason carved his name into my flesh.  I could smell and taste the blood in my mouth.  I could still see the look in his eyes as he climbed on top of me, ready to claim me...

   "Anne...Hey, sweetie.  Look at me."  Jenna pulled me out my own mind.

  "Sorry, it was a rough night.  I had a terrible nightmare and couldn't go back to sleep.  It's still haunting me."  I gave Jenna a ghost of a smile and shrugged one shoulder up.

  "Would you like to talk about it?"  I glance over to where Liam and Chris are standing backyard, pushing Izzy on her swing.  Liam's eyes catch mine and he raises an eyebrow to question if I am okay.  I raise my cup of coffee and point to the house, signalling that I was stepping inside for a moment.  He nods his head in agreement.  I know it might seem a little over the top, letting him know my whereabouts every moment.  But after last night, he is getting no more arguments from me.

  "Sure, lets step inside."  We entered Jenna's living room and she gestured for me to take a seat next to her on the couch.  Once I was settled with my feet tucked in underneath me, I took a deep breath.  I recounted my dream, the way Liam was murdered, the carving across my stomach and the near rape.  When I was finished, tears were streaming down my cheeks. Looking at Jenna, we was no better.  I was suddenly engulfed in a hug.  We stayed like that, sobbing in each others arms.  

    Jenna was the first to untangle herself.  "Anne, I am so sorry you are going to through all of this.  Liam will protect you with his life-"

   "That's part of the problem!", I cut her off.  "In my dream, he loses his life.  All of you are in danger because of me.  My sister is in danger because of me.  I can let anything happen to you guys because of me. I can't let anybody else die because of me."  My voice was a whisper by the end.  The guilt of my parents death gnawed at me, taunting more over the past few weeks.

   "Anne, none of this is because of you.  Sweetie, you are the victim here.  We love you.  This is because of that sick bastard, Jason, not you."  I know what she is saying, but I still can't help but feel responsible.

    Beep-beep

   A new message beeps on my phone and I pull it out of my back pocket, look at the screen, I see that I have 1 new text message, sender unknown.  I open the message.

UNKNOWN:  Hello, Carolyn.  Miss me?

  The phone drops from my hand and lands of the floor with a muted thud.  "No...no..no..no."  I whisper over and over again, frantically looking around the room, fearing his eyes are on me at this moment.  My hands tangle in my hair, still searching for the sender of the unknown text. Warm hand are placed on either side of my face as Jenna's concerned eyes look me.

   "Anne, what is it?  What's wrong?"  She tries to keep her voice even, but I can hear the panic in her words.  She knows too.  She is just waiting for me to confirm it.

   "Jason."  That one word drains all of the color from her face.  She bolts to the backdoor. I can hear her yelling for Liam and Chris.  Foot steps come running form the other room and strong arms wrapped around me and a warm kiss is placed on my forehead.  Jenna comes back in the room with a crying Izzy in her arms and heads up stairs with her.  I lean my head back to look into Liam's questioning green eyes.  "He found me."  Was all I get out before I am crushed to Liam's chest, his hand holding my head to his heart.

   "I promise, Anne.  I won't let him get you."  I stand there in Liam's embrace, letting the safety and warmth of his chest and arms calm me.  His hand on my back, gently rubbing soothing circles on my back.

   Beep-beep

   We both froze as we heard another new text message alert come through on my phone.

   Chris picks my phone up of the ground and hands it to Liam, who is still hold me.  I turn my head to see the new message.

UNKNOWN: Can't wait to see u

Beep-beep

UNKNOWN: Soon

***Feedback is welcome.  Voting is appreciated!***

Whooohooo! Just passed 700 reads! Thank you!