twenty-two

"Noona, I'm really sorry that I couldn't let you know earlier, 'cause you know how our family's like. But everything aside, please visit Jimin hyung as soon as possible, he's been asking for you for about two weeks already. I might sound like I'm exaggerating, but I'm afraid that if you don't go to Jimin hyung, he'll come to you."

Youngmin's words haunted your mind as you made your way back into the warm restaurant, your hands cold and clammy and your face a deathly shade of white. The mood at the table contrasted yours widely- Taehyung and Jungkook were downing their fifth glasses of beer each as they was being cheered on by the rest, while you were uneasy, cold sweat collecting near your hairline.

Your trembling hands didn't go unnoticed by Jungkook, who shot a concerned glance your way. He seemed to have sensed the worry in your eyes and the uneasiness in your movements as you settled down next to him.

"[Y/N], is anything wrong?" Jungkook asked softly, careful not to catch the others' attention as his fingers skimmed over your knuckles carefully. He definitely wasn't sober though, given the way his eyes didn't seem to be focusing on you properly and the way he'd slurred a little.

You debated whether to tell Jungkook the truth, knowing that he wouldn't exactly be thrilled to know that his girlfriend's dead husband was supposedly alive. You gulped, attempting to bite back a lie trying to escape from your mouth. But still, words tumbled from your mouth senselessly.

"Jung... Jungyi called to say that she wasn't feeling well, and that... she wants to meet me now," You fibbed, pulling away from Jungkook a little, hoping he wouldn't notice how you fiddled with your fingers nervously.

"Jungyi?" He frowned, his eyebrows pulling taut, "As in, Jungyi from your university?"

"Yeah," You answered, before feeling guilt curl at the base of your spine, your eyes not meeting Jungkook's properly.

"But it's fine, I can tell her-"

"It's okay [Y/N], just go. She's your best friend. Just don't complain whenever I have a guys' night out next time, promise?"

A lazy smile was etched on his face as he held out his pinky finger and you stared at him for a moment, your heart wrenching and unwrenching as you wound your finger around his.

"Promise."

You smiled weakly and tipped Jungkook's chin up for a soft kiss before reaching for your bag. He tasted like the beer which he'd been chugging down just minutes ago, bitter yet sweet all the same.

"I'll see you at home," You murmured as you got off your seat.

"Stay safe," Jungkook nagged and you shot him a faint smile before heading out.

"Eh? [Y/N], where are you going?" Hoseok asked, looking up from his phone.

"To visit Jungyi, she isn't feeling well."

"That's weird, I was just with her a few hours ago and she was fine," Hoseok mumbled to himself, his face drawn in confusion and worry.

"Well.. you know, stuff came up suddenly. No biggie though," You reassured him in a light hearted manner, and pretended to check the time on the watch on your wrist, "I'll be going now. See you soon."

Not giving Hoseok a chance to reply, you ducked out of the door at lightning speed, your footsteps echoing down the nearly empty street as you made your way to the nearby metro.

Once you felt like you'd finally caught your breath and calmed down, you fished your phone out of one of your coat pockets, dialling Jungyi's number.

"Hello!" She chirped down the other end of the phone and you felt some of the uneasiness from earlier wash away.

"Jungyi, something major happened."