Chapter 27

Chapter 27: Me? A Soldier?

I opened the doors to my mother's throne room and she bolted down her elevated throne and encircled me in a hug.

"I'm so happy that you're home," she said, warmly.

"I'm happy to be back," I laughed.

"How was your journey? Tell me everything that happened." I did. We talked together for about two hours and, when I finally finished, she told me that she was proud of what I had done and learned. It felt good to be appreciated and to feel that someone was proud of me. She planned more lessons with Carnor and then instructed me to visit her every day. I left the room feeling happier than I had in days.

After a few weeks, most of which was spent on the field training with Ben and Carnor or riding alone with Zanzibar, my mother approached me.

I was in the gardens with Zanzibar when my mother and Anne came to greet us.

"Anne!" I exclaimed.

"Hello, Adeline." I hugged her and looked at both my mother and Anne.

"Your birthday is in four days, Adeline," my mother blurted out, suddenly.

"What?" On earth, I had always celebrated my birthday on March 17, St. Patrick's Day. I knew that it was nowhere near that day but I shrugged my shoulders. This is a new world, why wouldn't I have a different birthday?

"Your birthday is in four days," Anne repeated.

"What does that have to do with anything?" I asked. My mother looked at my quizzically.

"What do you want us to do for your birthday?"

"Well..." I started. A guard suddenly walked into the room accompanied by Carnor.

"Your Majesty," they both bowed and Carnor continued. "I need to speak to you immediately." My mother looked at me and motioned Anne to follow her. All three of us stood up but my mother made me stay behind.

"I will tell you if it is something you need to know, Adeline." she instructed, and then left. I hated being left out of these conversations. I needed to know what was going on. I was the one that keeps almost dying! I think, coming from the most attacked person present, that I should have a say and have an idea of what is going on!

I got into my room and, as Zanzibar followed me, flung my crown on the secret compartment. It popped open and I saw the sword and bag inside it. I sighed, closed the drawer and sat down on my bed.

What do you think is going on? I asked my Pegasus.

I have no idea, Adeline. He snorted. Maybe it's nothing but a riot.

A riot?

Yeah. Sometimes, in the South, people have little riots. Zanzibar looked out the window. Carnor usually has at least one legion down there to keep the peace. I stood up and walked over to my door. Opening it, I saw guards running down the hallways and, among them was Carnor.

"Princess," he addressed me with a bow. "Your mother wishes to speak to you immediately." I nodded, picked up my skirts and ran off toward my mother's throne room. This is where I was going to actually have a say in my kingdom's problems. I heard Zanzibar's hooves clicking on the ground behind me. The guards at the front door stiffened as I came up to them. I shoved the doors open and my mother ran down to me, Anne behind her.