Chapter 30

Chapter 30: I Just Can't Seem to Win

I didn't know what to think. I got up out of my bed and put on my robe. Pulling my hair into a ponytail, I saw Catherine walk into the room.

"Hello, Adeline are you doing alright?" She asked softly.

"No..." I sat down on a chair. Catherine pulled one up next to me and sat down, too.

"Tell me all about it," she comforted me by placing one of her arms around me.

"Ben is going to war," I sobbed.

"Adeline, he'll be fine. Don't you worry," Catherine smiled.

"I wish people would stop saying that. Anything can happen in a fight. One stray arrow, sword, or spear could end his life."

"Della, I know Ben, he's going to be fine because he has something worth fighting for.

"But..." I wanted to believe he would be all right but, I couldn't. "I guess you're right, Catherine," I replied. "I just...I don't know." I looked out the window. Why was I so scared for him? Was it the fact that he was my best friend? Was it the kiss he had given me? Was it because...?

"You know, you can tell me anything, right?" Catherine asked, suddenly, interrupting my thoughts.

"Yeah, I just don't know yet," I tried for the right words.

"Know what?"

"I...I..." The thought hit me.

"Well...?" I could tell Catherine really wanted to help me.

I was staring at the door, totally in a daze. "I just don't want him to get hurt." I whispered, so quietly, I had to repeat myself. Franticly looking around me for my cloak, I grabbed my dagger and bolted out of my room. Running as fast as I could go, I headed toward the meeting room. Flinging the door open, I gasped for air. Putting a hand on my chest, I saw that there was nobody there. I had missed them completely. I heard Catherine come up behind me and he panting made me turn around.

"You're fast, Adeline." she gasped.

"I missed them," I said, unbelievingly.

"Yeah, I could have told you that they weren't here. Ben told me goodbye this morning when I came in here to find him," Catherine explained. We walked back to my bedchamber. Catherine could tell that I was upset and she tried everything in her power to comfort me.

There was a knock at the door. It was Zach. I ran up and he held me for a long time. It felt good to have something familiar to hold for a while when everything else was changing so rapidly.

"It's just too much," I said.

"It'll be ok, Della. Your mother wishes to speak with you though, so, you'd better go." I had already put on a gown so I set the silver crown on my head and walked out the door with Ardennais.

"Love you, bro."

"Love you, too, sis." I smiled and left the room.

My mother's throne room was crowded with soldiers, centaurs, Pegasus', and scribes. People were all talking at once and it reminded me of the sound of a crowded mall. I found my mother and Anne near the throne itself talking with a tall man.

"Princess," he bowed. "My name is Malchus." He smiled.

He was tall, but not as tall as Carnor. His build was the sort of Brock, but he was more muscular than Brock was. His black hair and green, piercing eyes made him look scary. As I looked him over, I noticed with horror that his right ear was missing. Just a small stub of scarred skin was left. An old battle wound? I thought.