Chapter 35 & 36

Chapter 35: Getting Cozy in the Dark

"So that dragon saved you?" Link had questioned me all about my interview with Ragus and about Zashnyx, the "cat of the castle", as he was called. Apparently, he fished for rats and mice in the kitchen and hunted for them in Ragus' throne room when everyone was at the actual castle. I guessed that that was all he ever ate although, he was strong and very muscular.

"Well, I wasn't in any danger to begin with but, yes, he did," I replied and finished eating the small loaf of bread the Gramores had brought. I was starving. I hadn't eaten much at all since before the battle had begun. I wondered how it was going. I was sure there would be many more battles but I wasn't sure if they were over with yet.

I licked my fingers and looked at Link. "What do you think will happen to me?"

Link cleared his throat and grinned. "Nothin' can show that." I frowned and leaned against the wall. I thought about all of my friends and family at the castle. Catherine and her welcoming smiles. Aunt Anne's hugs. Ardennais' cuddles and Zanzibar's warm wings around me. My mother's kindness and willingness to teach me about Caelestis. And Ben.

"Whatcha' thinkin'?" Link interrupted my thoughts.

"My family," I said.

"Ahh... What about them?"

"Just how much I miss them and what I would have said if I knew that it was going to be the last time I saw them," I replied with ease.

"I miss...miss them..." I moaned.

"There, there..."

"What are they like?" he asked.

I laughed, "Well, Zanzibar, my Pegasus, is great...and Ben was my best friend. He and I used to go on rides together before the battle broke out..." I trailed off.

"Why do ya say 'was'," Link asked and stared at me.

"He...he was killed in battle..." I said, with a pang of memory at the look on his face when he left. I pulled my legs up to my chest and gently gripped the Ring necklace he had given me. I was glad that I hadn't taken the dagger with me into battle. The Gramores would have taken it from me and I would have never seen it again.

"Sorry to hear that," Link looked at the floor.

Chapter 36: So, You're the Spy?

The Queen and Roman had intercepted Zanzibar's squad and after a brief argument joined them. Zanzibar led his small band of fairies, Pegasus, a few guards, and the Queen toward Lord Ragus' stronghold. He wasn't sure how the battle would turn out. He was hoping there wouldn't be any fighting at all. Just go in, save Adeline, and get out... He said over and over. The Queen looked so calm and she was poised so perfectly on the back of Ronan, Zanzibar thought for a minute that she was a statue.

The band flew on. Princess Serigala had gathered her strongest and bravest fairy soldiers to come with her and they rode on tiny, glowing fireflies. They provided some light in the mist and fog surrounding them. For that, Zanzibar was grateful. As an animal, he knew he and the other Pegasus could find their way in the fog but the Gramores, being brainless, would not be so successful. The fog would provide extra protection and cover for their raid. A thought came to Zanzibar's mind. The dragon... There was a dragon at the stronghold!

Kabardin? Zanzibar asked, remembering that the dun Pegasus was extremely intelligent.

Yes? Kabardin replied and flew up to Zanzibar's side.