-= 4 =-

Annelie walked onward, uncaring if she was heading in the right direction or not. However, her momentary spike in energy was quickly wearing off. She was left feeling like she could fall asleep against the wall she was brushing her hand against for balance. It was too much for her, especially after running in the forest. 

From what she had seen of the white world outside when she hung from the window's ledge, it was still night, though getting closer to dawn. She had to get home. Her parents, they would be so very worried. 

The image of her mother searching the house for her. Her weak, frail mother crying into her father's shoulder. Annelie shook her head, focusing on the walk with more determination than before. 

She could hear shouting coming from down the hall, the Beast no doubt. His voice could echo anywhere in the castle and she would know who it was. It was the instinctive stiffening of her shoulders. It was the way her eyes grew fiery once more at the thought of him yelling. It was the fact that she couldn't stand the Beast's existence, even though he had, begrudgingly, saved her life. 

Annelie found the grand staircase. She took a moment to marvel at its beauty. The stairs seemed to shine, white limestone bricks making it up. The railing was that of nearly pure gold. It was... amazing. 

That was until she remembered who owned the castle. No, I mustn't envy this place. This is the residence of a horrid Beast, a monster, she reminded herself. A monster who... saved me. 

Annelie couldn't help, but think about how he had saved her, despite his harshness. She wanted to hate him completely, yet was finding the task a nearly impossible feat. "La demoiselle!" the voice of a girl called out. She didn't stop moving, gripping the railing for balance as she went. The steps seemed to span impossibly ahead of her. They were endless, like the trip back to her Vell felt. 

"Mademoiselle!" the voice called out once more, closer and a bit breathless. The thudding of the Beast moving somewhere behind the lady made her stiffen. Still, she didn't stop, not for the lady and not for the Beast. 

"Stop," the Beast snapped out. To the servant, she guessed, or herself, she didn't know. Either way, she felt a soft touch on her arm. To her side was a beautiful woman, a bit older than her. She smiled brightly. 

"Stay, at least to get yourself well enough to leave. It would leave us feeling terribly guilty if you were to end up becoming lost or ill out there," the servant explained. The smile, it seemed so very familiar, tugging at something in her mind in which she couldn't explain. Her mouth opened to reject the offer, before it closed once more. 

Her brows furrowed as she stared at the black haired woman. She stepped down another step and backed into the railing. Something, it isn't right, Annelie thought. Her brows furrowed further. "Mademoiselle?" 

"I cannot... I cannot stay," Annelie whispered. She moved down the steps further, needing to escape the castle before it could haunt her any more than seemed already have. "I cannot," she repeated. "My mother... father... they..." her voice trailed off as she stared at the door. The image of her mother's tear-filled eyes flashed once more in her mind. 

"You cannot leave, though! How do you plan to get home at such an hour? You may get lost, grow ill, or worse!" the servant girl explained, voice somehow distressed. 

"If any of those things do become of me, then it will not be your fault. It will be due to my own actions, rather than yours. I don't remember quite well, but I do know... uh... Liyor... Liyor and Zaman saved my life out there already. For their kindness, I am indebted. However, I cannot stay longer. I must return home at once, no matter what may befall me on the way," Annelie explained, not once turning around to look at the Beast whose eyes stared into her, through her.