-= 9 =-

Annelie had been famished, hungry beyond her own comprehension. Yet, by the end of the stony, silent dinner, she doubted she could even drink another sip of water. Her stomach was content, once more silenced. 

The table was cleaned with an efficiency only years of practice could obtain. Servants, big and small, disappeared somewhere in the massive castle to do whatever else they had to complete before going to sleep that night. 

Even as she rose, she could feel the Beast's eyes bearing into her very soul. They seemed to see something that she couldn't see herself. His gaze was penetrating, and hot. It was distant and cold. It was everything and nothing. 

The Beast rose with her, taking to his feet as soon as she tucked the chair's seat neatly under the table. "Stay," he instructed her. 

"No," she replied, shutters falling over her wild green eyes once more. Her head turned and she looked at her mother. Gioia rose from the table. However, halfway up, Merrick's hand moved down onto her pale delicate one. That made the woman freeze, then turn to her husband who showed affection so sparsely. Without a word, she sat once more into the seat she had been ready to abandon. 

"Mother?" Annelie questioned slowly, her brows furrowing. 

"Annelie, darling... we are guests. Besides... do we have much to go back to?" Merrick asked her, his voice slow and older than before. Yet, a life had come about him as soon as he entered the castle, bringing years back to the man. Instead of the drained shell he usually became in the evenings, he was bright, eyes shining. All was well, until Annelie moved to leave the castle. It was as if the old man was once again old, and couldn't dare manage outside on his own. 

"Guests? Did he not wish us to leave earlier? As for our house... it is something father. It is ours and it is something," she snapped out, her eyes turning harder by the moment. Inside, her emotions were violent waves crashing against her chest, more and more pounding to escape somehow. 

Merrick stared at his daughter. He could see it, she disliked the Beast more than anything. Perhaps it is my fault, he thought with a long sigh. Perhaps I should have been there more for her when she was younger instead of just leaving her on her own to pursue the Beast. He watched Annelie start to turn towards the door once more. 

In a long, sweeping motion the Beast wrapped her in his arms, immobilizing her. "Yes, you are my guest. You will stay the night," the Beast calmly stated, a stubborn glint moving into his eyes once more. 

If he was going to be the death of this Beauty, he knew he had to make sure she was under his care for as long as possible. Under his care, she could be safe. Under his care, his winter rose wouldn't die once more. 

Annelie began to honestly struggle in the Beast's grasp. Yet, it was all for nothing, as he didn't once budge, rather only held her tighter. His lips curled slowly upwards, though no one was able to see the movement as he was turned away from Merrick and Gioia, and Annelie was too focused on making sure the Beast knew of her irritation. 

"Why do you find it so entertaining to trap me so? Does it give you pleasure to know you have me under your thumb?" Annelie snapped, her chest rising and falling rapidly in a mix of irritation and irrational nervousness. 

The nervousness was not something she was expecting. Surely, fear would have been the first thing she should have felt. Except, there was a nervousness and it was not the kind of nervousness that was sparked by being afraid. Rather, it was the type that stole your breath, making your heart pick up its rate and wonder what would happen if a terrible, handsome stranger were to kiss you. 

Annelie closed her eyes, shaking her head as she tried to forget the thought process her mind had chosen to take. Surely her mind was mistaken, he was not handsome... Yet, he was.