-= 20 =-

To someone else, the library would seem like an unsatisfying gift, but to Annelie, it was the most she could ever ask for. Ever since she had been small, there had been something enchanting about books that she could never explain. Her parents had indulged her pass time by allowing her to visit the local scholar who never failed to give Annelie a brilliant book to consume her time in. 

However, her days spent visiting the scholar had to abruptly end when he, his wife, and six children moved off to a bigger town with larger dwellings that could fit their needs. As a parting gift, the man had given her a tall pile of books with a smile encompassing his face. Annelie had been only fourteen at the time. 

She had read the books quickly, devouring their knowledge like it was a feast and she had been starving her whole life. Of course, they got their use, as she read them again and again over the years. It got to the point that she was able to quote the text word for word without even touching the books for months. It had impressed her mother, who had rewarded her with a light smile when she had been home. Her father hadn't cared enough to really get to know her hobbies, which left her a bit heartbroken, but it built her a tougher skin at the very least. 

So, when the Beast had given her a library with seemingly an endless supply of literature, she had felt an elation that she could not deny. He had seemed content with her happiness, going along with her as she perused the books, easily finding many that she would love to read. 

The only difficulty she had was selecting just one to read with so many that were right there for the taking. Rather than try and interrupt her thoughts, the Beast had seemed lost in his own thoughts. A troubled look at entered his eyes as he seemed to contemplate something that was bothering him. 

Eventually, Annelie settled on the first book she had grabbed, one that was a story about love and loss. It had seemed interesting with a large red spine and golden enchanting words scrolled across it. Of course, it also seemed old, as old as the castle was. 

When she sat down to begin reading, the Beast easily took a seat next to her, just enjoying her company. Somehow, he never occurred to Vardan that he could just leave her to her own devices since she had looked around and chosen a book. It didn't occur to him that sitting there, watching her expressions changing as she flew through the pages was out of the ordinary for a man like him. 

Somehow, he had moved the chair closer and closer to Annelie, until he could peer over her shoulder at the writing in the book. An amused smile grew on his face as he was barely able to read the pages as she continued to read at a breakneck pace. 

His hand moved to her arm at some point and he didn't ever think to remove it. Neither did he think that his thumb that moved in slow, soft circles was even catching Annelie's attention. Yet, when the page hadn't turned in quite some time, and he had been able to finish both without too much trouble, he found that he was looking at her face, into her eyes. "What is bothering you?" he asked her, voice rough. 

Her green eyes widened and she sucked in a breath and shook her head. "Nothing important, Vardan. It is nothing at all," she murmured softly with a small, weak smile. 

"What?" he asked once more, not taking no for an answer, not from his Beauty. He leaned in closer to her, staring deeply into her eyes. Her breath seemed to hitch and she turned her head away quickly. 

"Honestly, Vardan, I am completely fine. It is nothing that you need to worry about," she stated, her voice strong and her smile a lot firmer this time. Still, the man didn't believe her, and his hand moved to grip her chin lightly in his grasp. With a small tug, her head turned easily his way once more and her eyes widened. "Vardan?" she murmured, eyebrows furrowing, and somehow a lot more breathy than before.