-= 23 =-

The Beast paced in his room, gritting his teeth and trying not to shout his anger over and over again until his throat was sore and his voice hoarse. I'm to blame, he thought angrily. Damn it! I should never have told her to leave! What if she actually left the castle? No. It isn't possible. She went to her room, and her window wasn't tampered with. She didn't jump and then she must have left for some reason when the servants were paying attention. 

A frustrated groan left the Beast and he collapsed onto his bed. His body twitched with excess energy, needing to do something to find his Beauty. 

Surely I can survive without her company, but it just doesn't feel right anymore, he thought with a long, drawn-out sigh. The servants could search for her, but it wasn't safe to leave the castle especially since the thorns on the gate seemed to have grown by the dozen. It was a weapon, a threat, keeping them locked within the castle so they couldn't find Annelie. 

He was sure she wasn't in the castle. Something spoke to him that the curse would take her outside his boundaries, somewhere else. To find her would be nearly impossible for him if the sorceress was truly so vengeful towards him. 

Vardan sat up, contemplating what he could possibly do, before coming up with nothing. That was when he stood up once more, traveling to his window with irritation pulling his mouth downward. Outside he could see the servants moving around in the snow. Some had left to go inside, shaken and unable to take in the realization that Annelie, someone who was sweet and kind and different, had gone missing. 

There had been something about Annelie that had drawn each servant in, even though they never got the chance to really talk to her. Perhaps it was all the good things that Navini said about her or the fact that she seemed to make the servant more sure of herself. 

Either way, they cared for her as well. Besides, she had a large heart and a welcoming smile to anyone who was willing to accept it. It was the same smile that had made the Beast wish he was only hers. If he could have, he would have locked her up in his castle for the rest of their days, for eternity, if only he could hold her and bask in the feeling she seemed to make roll through him. 

The Beast's vision turned hazy as he snarled, his fist hitting the stone wall angrily. Why must she be gone? With a shake of his head, he focused on Liyor and Zaman who seemed to be leading the organization of the servants who would be trying to keep a look out for Annelie or any human that traveled close to the castle. Of course, he could see Navini hurrying forward, waving her arm and gesturing at the gate. 

The two men seemed to watch her for a long moment before it seemed they had accepted whatever she had said to them. For half a second the Beast had hoped that the reason that Navini had waved her arm around was to say that she could see Annelie. Surely, it was a weak hope, but he still felt it so strongly before it was wiped away once more. His scowl only deepened as he figured for however long Annelie was away would become his hell. 

---

Dreams, so much like real life, haunted Annelie's mind. As she struggled against a searing pain that was ripping her apart, she felt herself being transported to somewhere else. Before her was a forest she was wandering through. Her hands brushed softly against the trees, her eyes soft in the warm light that drifted through the lush green canopy above her. 

The trees were lively, their branches swaying in a soft breeze. 

It was unbelievably peaceful. So much so, that she continued to walk forward, treading her way through the trees and to the marvelous gates of Rose Castle. This time, there were roses, but no thorns. 

The doors were open and just through them, the Beast stood. He smiled warmly at Annelie, causing a sudden fierce tug on her heart. She looked behind him to the child she saw running forward. It was a little girl in a small, pale pink dress and dirtied feet. The girl hurried her movements as she saw Annelie, rushing forward with a wide smile curling up her lips.