-= 26 =-

"Mademoiselle," Navini exclaimed as soon as Annelie began to struggle to her feet. She forced her legs to slip over the side of the bed, ignoring the dizzying feeling of the world spinning all around her. "No, you must not! You are not fully healed!" Yet, Annelie brushed away her hand with a weak defense and found that Navini didn't try too very hard to stop her. 

'Help me', Annelie mouthed out to her friend. At once, Navini's arm wrapped around her shoulder, helping her stand and taking most of her weight. The nightdress she had been changed into was clean and light on her body. It flowed around her thighs, ending there rather than flowing to her ankles like many other, less revealing, nightdresses did. It was a pale creme color that went along with the paleness of Annelie's skin as she pressed one foot forward at a time. 

It was an excruciatingly slow progress, but Navini kept encouraging her silently. By the time they had left the bedroom, they could see the congregation of people around the doorway of their master. Liyor and Zaman were not to be seen, but Annelie had no doubts that they were close, probably in the room with their master at that very moment. 

Heads turned to look over Annelie. Wide eyes and stunned features were her only greeting as they parted for her to go through. She had to see her Beast. She had to see Vardan, the prince who stole her heart. 

Her eyes were determined as she made her way into the room to find Liyor and Zaman having a quiet argument on the far side of the room. They froze when they heard Navini clearing her throat. "Ah! Mademoiselle! Why are you not at rest?" Liyor questioned her. His hands went behind his back to hide the trembling. They clasped together, fingers turning white from the harsh grip. 

Annelie swallowed, finding that her mouth still lacked any saliva and nodded her head towards the Beast. Navini cleared her throat, focusing on the two men who seemed to regard both of them with worry and wonder. "She wishes to see the Master," is all that the servant girl stated. At once the two men nodded and bowed their heads. 

"We shall leave you alone in the master's company," Zaman suggested. "Navini, please do join us in the hall when you have finished in aiding Annelie." Navini nodded at her instructions, part of her wondering if they were going to be yelling at her for moving Annelie so soon. 

Sure, it had been a few days since her arrival back to the castle, but Annelie's recovery was going far more slowly. Perhaps the curse was slowly losing its power, its upper hand on everything. Perhaps with every weak breath, the master took in his magic-induced, weakened sleep the spell was breaking all around them. 

Annelie brushed away Navini's hand and took the final step to collapse by the Beast's bedside. She laid her head against his hand, tears rolling down her face. The servant girl took one long look at the two of them, knowing that there had to be love there. There was no way they would try so hard to be by each other if there had never been love. No doubt, their master had fallen for the girl more than he could have ever imagined himself doing. Yet, his payment for her safe return was high. 

A tug of longing pulled at her heart, but she knew that she had no one to go home to, no one who cared so deeply for her. Maybe, if she had been born to a different life, she could have had what Annelie and her master shared. Or maybe, she would still be stuck, waiting and wondering whether she would have love in her life. 

Navini turned away, taking long, soft steps to the door. She closed it without looking back and glaring at all those who tried to peek into the room. "We must leave them alone. It is Liyor and Zaman's orders," she instructed the crowd. They all looked over at the two huddled men who were once more in an argumentive state. Liyor looked pale and there were bags under Zaman's eyes. Navini sighed as she made her way over, knowing how worried everyone was and how tensions were once more rising in the castle.