-= 13 =-

On the following day, the Prince arrived once more at the poor cottage after the woman refused to show up. He walked through the yard, eyes catching on a beautiful garden with roses adorning healthy bushes. A scowl moved onto his mouth when he realized that the beautiful woman he saw just the day before hadn't even had the decency to wait for him outside the disgusting abode. 

He grimaced as he knocked on the door. No one answered for a long minute, and becoming impatient, the Prince shoved the door to the cottage open. Inside the woman stared at him with wide eyes from the kitchen. "Come. Now," the Prince ground out between clenched teeth. 

"Please... I have to take care of my brother," she exclaimed once more, begging the Prince. "Another day, please!" 

"I will not be waiting another day you wench! Gather your things, whatever it is that you need, and get to my castle!" he shouted at the top of his lungs. Anger burned inside him at her refusal to listen to his command of gathering her things. So, he turned away after waving her to get moving, and crossed his arms. 

After waiting an excruciating ten minutes, he turned once more to the empty room. He strode towards the back of the cottage that was rotting around him. He kicked open a door to the inside of a room he couldn't help to be drawn to. 

It was the only truly lit room in the entire house. Inside was a small candle with a pathetic flame waving back and forth. It was a bedroom. 

The woman who had been so keen on marrying was laying on the bed with blank, empty eyes. Blood stained the fabric she laid on top of. A single dagger stuck out of her chest, piercing her through the heart. Her head was turned to the side, eyes staring right at him, or rather... right through him. 

In a sudden fit of rage, the Prince grabbed the candle. He threw it to the ground and watched as the wooden floor caught alight. He turned around, leaving the house without another look back. He left, leaving the fiery house for whoever noticed it first. Unknowingly, he killed the sick, sleeping boy within. 

Two weeks passed, and the Prince's twentieth birthday arrived. On that night, he was unable to rest, his mind too active and his eyes staring up at the ceiling. He rose from his bed to stalk the halls of his castle. 

A crisp knock sounded at the two large front doors as he walked by. He paused in his step, wondering if he was only just imagining the sound. Except, it was quickly followed by two more clear knocks that even garnered one of his servant's attention. 

The Prince strode forward, his long legs taking him to where one of her servants stood. With a wave of his hand, he dismissed the man before he could touch the door. The servant bowed lowly to the Prince before disappearing back into the shadowed hallways of the castle once more. 

With a harsh jerk, the Prince tugged open the door. His fingers tightened their hold on the handle when he noticed who stood outside. 

The same beautiful girl who had killed herself two weeks prior was standing before him. Her form was transparent. Long, beautiful hair tumbled in waves around her, moving by an unknown force, as there was no wind. 

"Dear Prince, you destroyed not only my life, but my brother's and mother's as well. Until you learn the meaning of love and of sacrifice, you shall be cursed. Henceforth, you shall be confined to these castle grounds you flaunt so easily. If you dare to leave, you will begin to die. With every breath you will suffer, as my brother did, by choking on invisible tendrils of smoke," the woman explained, voice cold and empty. 

"Ha! You think you have best me, you phantom? I can still marry and be King of this wretched kingdom! I am the Prince, after all," the man explained. Instead of fear, he shoved the threat back at the woman with a wide smirk.