Ch. 33

The video at the top gives me l i f e
and it's also relevant to the story hey would you look at that
it's not mine tho so creds to DannyPhantomSG1 on YouTube! :D

**PETER**

Wade introduced me to chimichangas, and I realized that maybe Wade wasn't the love of my life after all.

"Nope," I said, after forcing down half a deep-fried burrito. I glanced at Wade, who was devouring the food we had just bought at a cheap Tex-Mex place with no complaints.
"I can't eat this."

"You don't like it?" Wade asked between chews.

"It's not bad," I admitted. "But it's not good either." Wade shrugged.

"At least it's got a fun name. Chimichangasssss. Can't argue with a dish called chimichangassss."

I let out a laugh, and offered him the last of my chimichangassss.

We were standing by a fence, in a less-crowded place with buildings covered in graffiti and roads covered in trash. Wade didn't want to go back to his place, because he claimed 'Carl' would be waiting for him and then he would just have to shoot himself in the head again.

"Who's Carl?" I asked after a while. Wade didn't look at me when he answered.

"A dog."

Of course I knew Carl the dog was more than just a dog named Carl. I wasn't stupid. Just an hour ago Wade had pointed a gun at me, claiming I wasn't real. I was probably not the only hallucination that had been driving him nuts lately.

"And why don't we like Carl?" I asked. Wade licked some hot sauce from his fingers and shrugged.

"Well, for one, he isn't your biggest fan, either. But then again, that title is reserved for me. Did I say that out loud?"

I chuckled, and reached my hand up to his face.

"What does he say about me? Carl, I mean," I asked, wiping some hot sauce from the corner of his mouth. He stared at me while I did so, and I quickly stepped back again. I forgot we hadn't seen each other in weeks and that he probably thought I hated him. And I couldn't just stand here and expect him to take me back the moment I realized I didn't want to lose him, after all. Evidently, I'd hurt him a lot more than I'd intented to.

"Carl is a pretty grumpy dog. He's not very positive about me caring for other people."

Carl was probably - most likely - a part of Wade's conscience, which meant Wade wasn't very positive about caring for other people. What, or..who had made him like that? How had he become so convinced that he didn't deserve love, that he had an imaginary dog telling him so at every waking hour?

"Why?" I asked, walking down the street next to him.

"Well, it's not like anyone stays, anyway," Wade sighed. "My life is like a bipolar disorder;"

Aren't you bipolar though?

"-I have my job, the only constant in my life, though even that one has changed since I met you. I have people - happiness - that comes and goes. And when those people, that happiness; when they leave, I get sad."

I didn't say anything for a moment. Probably because I was busy beating myself up, knowing I was the cause of Deadpool's current state.
Eventually, though, I let my hand fall to Wade's, and tried to intertwine our fingers.
He wouldn't let me.

"Your turn to talk," he said, in a monotone voice. I frowned. I wasn't used to him putting his walls up around me.

Guess that's what I get for freezing him out after he saved me.

"Why are you back? If you're real, if this is real; why did you come back?"

I exhaled deeply, and licked my lips as I tried to come up with a good order to put my words in.

"First of all; I'm sorry, and thank you." Wade stopped walking, and looked at me unsure.

"For what?"

I desperately wanted to go closer to him, to take his hands and make everything okay again. I mean, I thought that's what I would do, too. I thought I could just swing by Wade's place and say I was sorry and everything would be allright again.

I underestimated the damage I could do to other people.

"You know what," I said, forcing myself to remain where was standing. "You just don't want to allow yourself to believe I could actually come back for you."

Wade flinched, and for a second I thought I had said something wrong, until I heard he was muttering to himself.

"Shut up, Carl," he mumbled.

"Yeah, shut up, Carl," I echoed. Wade looked at me, and I took a deep breath.

"I might not hear you, but if you're trying to manipulate Wade into not listening to what I have to say, then you can crawl right back into the asshole you came from."

"That's probably mine," Wade commented, and I couldn't help the laugh that escaped me.

"Sorry," I apologized. "Listen, Wade; I'm stupid."

"I thought you were a scientist."

"Wade, focus. I'm stupid, because I'm human. And as a human, I'm designed to make mistakes. I tend to forget that. I forget that as a human, I'm not invincible. No one is truly invincible. All I can do is my best; my best to protect my town and the people I love. I can only be the best hero I can be. Just like you."

"I'm not a hero," Wade protested, and I took a step forward.

"Yes, you are. You're my hero."

Wade didn't have an immidiate response to that. He was just staring at me with a look that either said he was about to cry, or he really needed to pee.

"That's about the gayest thing I've ever heard you say," he eventually said. "Are you sure you're not a hallucination?"

I smiled at him.
"I'm sorry for being so short sighted. When you killed Adam, you didn't just save me. You saved an entire city. The whole world, in fact. Although I would've preferred finding another way to deal with him, at least he's gone now. For good this time."

"Don't jinx it," Deadpool warned.

I tried once again to take his hand in mine, and this time he allowed me to, though he looked unsure. I squeezed it reassuringly.

"I'm sorry for not seeing how much you've changed since we met, instead of focusing on your slip-ups. Everyone makes mistakes; and one of mine is pushing you away."

For once, Wade looked genuinly touched, as he dragged me into a hug. He wrapped his arms around me as if it was a way of saying that this time he wouldn't let me go.

"You're real," he mumbled. "The you in my head is never that nice to me."

I chuckled, and looked up at him.

"Start over?" I asked. He smiled crookedly at me and nodded.

"Yes, please."

*************

brb vomiting at the cheese levels of this chapter

IMPORTANT NOTE: it seems like I don't have anywhere else to go for these two from here, though, so sadly; this is probably the end. In that case, I'll be posting an epilogue when I get around to it, so there's that.
I know a lot of you don't want this to end (which is weird i mean, you actually wanna read what i write??) but, it's a fanfic, and they're not always LOTR-lengthy, but you guys's reactions to this story has been overwhelming and this has become something I actually want you to be happy about, not just something I write when I'm bored. So, this might be the end of 'Hero', but it's not the end of Spideypool...stay tuned for one-shots, guys :D
Other than that; shameless self promo here; my original story "Secrets of the Shadows" is up so please go check that out if you want to? k tnx

That was a long A/N but if you stuck through it; thanks for reading, I love you all and all that jazz. Stay awesome. Peace out.