06 | Aashi

Chapter-06 | Aashi (Edited)

This summer seemed to last forever. The heartbreak of it all was soul-crumbling and the ridiculous self-doubts. Not to add, the pathetic self- hating slump I was in. The days were too slow to pass and I hated every moment of it. After summer when the classes started, I couldn't be more happy to get back in school and throw myself in studies. This summer break, I found the treachery in the forevermore love. And it broke all the sand- castles I used to make with Rohit on the beaches of Juhu.

Just thinking about how the things were last year, makes my heart break for an infinite time.

A year ago, I couldn't wait for the summer break to end so I could spend eight hours in school with my best friend turned boyfriend, Rohit. We were the best friends who fell in love.

.....................

Rohit has my fingers interwined with his and blows a breath on my neck, when he hugs me from the back after a tedious history class.

"Oh, I missed you so much."

"I missed you, too."

"How was your History test? Did you do well?" I ask him, biting my lip while contemplating that I didn't do too well myself.

"Apparently, too well. I'm so going to flunk these tests," his nose crinkles and lips turn into a thin line as he turns me around in his arms. "I don't know how I'm going to pass this year," his breath smells like peppermint when he speaks to me and leans in for a kiss, "I wish I knew how to concentrate when you're sitting on the next bench," he adds.

I give him a sly smile, "Yeah, pin this on me. How do I know if it's me you were concentrating at? It could be," my eyes roam around the room, and land on the most- popular- girl- in- school with light green eyes, "even Saheema, the girl you just had a crush an year ago."

"N-a-ah, she's not you," he kisses my nose, "I could've double dated her but, I still love you, you know."

The statement earns him a slap on his shoulder, and I glower at him with my brown ones drilling holes in his chest, "Don't. Ever. Rohit."

He bursts out into a boisterous laugh and I slightly pry myself out of his arms to make my way to the classroom's door. I turn around and see him smiling at me, then roll my eyes at him, shaking my head and giving him a small smile.

He used to make me so giddy back then. The giddiness seemed to evaporate in the last twelve months.

Now, sitting in the dull cafetaria, crunching on my lunch alone and  remembering about all these happy memories I had with him makes my skin crawl. In contrast with the person I've known almost all my life to the person I've known in the past few weeks, he definitely seemed to have changed a lot.

I recall the late- night conversation and how it went.

Me: Your so- called girlfriend has been texting me.

Rohit: No, she won't. She hates you.

Me: Exactly. Those weren't happy, fangirling texts, either. She called me a 'bitch'.

Rohit: I can't argue with her on that one.

Me: Oh, so, you are now Mr. Congeniality?

Rohit: I don't want to talk with you. And the way you've behaved with me earlier, seems like you don't want to talk to me, too. Now, that we are on the same page, why are you calling me so late in the night, anyway?

Me: Call off your petty girlfriend or she'll know exactly what a 'bitch' is.

Then, I pretty much hang up. And go back to sleep.