12|Aashi

Ch-12| Aashi

"I'm telling you the truth, Aashi." Rohit's voice pierces the silence of my room, and the end of the pen I'm holding in my right hand erratically beats on the open physics book on my wooden study-table.

"I don't believe you, Rohit. I won't ever. So. Stop. Calling. Me." I'm looking over the physics question that's equally as frustrating as the person on the phone.

"You have to- *have to* believe me." His voice over the static comes off as a mess, like he's on the verge of crying, or something. Maybe, he's having an emotional breakdown. Fuck, if I care.

"If only- only this sentence will sound more pathetic, if you had started it with *mummy*. Go find someone else to complain to. I have no faith in you, and I'm ashamed that I ever had."

"It's- it's true. Neel destroyed my entire car. And, Saheema never showed up as she promised. I'm sure she's with him. They're together. I lost *her* to him."

"How does that concern me? Wait—" I take a moment to let the sentence for him to sink in, "it doesn't."

"I thought- I thought you're dating him."

"We are *together*. That's why I believe him. And for you, I can't say much."

"You'll believe me *one* day, Ashu."

I can't believe he still has the audacity to call me that. I blow out a hard breath, and control my anger which is definitely breaking the highest point of a thermometer.

"That day will *never* come." I bite my lip in anger, "and yeah, one more thing, my name is AASHI. You've lost the right to call me that. Goodbye."

I end the call as the static falls into a cold silence. The atmosphere of my room gets enveloped in suspicion and despair.

****

It's been three hours since I got that not- so- persuasive call from Rohit to leave Neel. I don't know why but whatever he said somehow resonated within my brain. I don't want to, but he somehow accomplished in planting the seeds of betrayal in my mind. I don't believe him, but why do I feel so left out?

If Neel was planning to get back at Rohit (which I totally believe he would), then why am I the only one out of the loop?

Has he gotten back together with Saheema? Why do I even care?

*You care, Aashi. You do.*

And, I feel a bit gloomy and maybe, even sad because it's been a day since Neel tried to reach out to me. Neither does he text me everyday, or call, because he's a pain the ass and I don't want him to. It's. . . it's just that he's not that far away everytime I look behind.

It's so easy to reach out to him. He's always there.

Fuck, he's made me habituated. *To him!*

He's just always there. Blimey! I don't know if it's a good thing or bad. Good. Bad. *Probably*.

He has had the aura of a bad boy ever since I've known him, which seems like forever. No wonder, Rohit was always averted with the idea of *us* being friends.

Not that I'd believe him now, but long before when we were dating. . . he used to snap at the things I mentioned about Neel. That's when I stopped mentioning Neel altogether.

A vivid memory passes through my mind.

*My arms are wrapped around Rohit's collar and he's straddling me on his bed, and I'm under him and my breath is knocked away.

"Baby, scoot over." Rohit whispers in my ear, and the hairs at the back of my neck stand erect, giving me chills that tingle my entire spine.

"Ouch, my hair, my hair." Rohit moves his hands from under my neck, and my long hair is a mess under his fingers and he jostles on the bed, and my head prickles. "Ahh, let me go." I wriggle out of his hold, and go and stand next to his dresser, untangling the strands of my hair.