Chapter 18: Welcome To The Family

Cassidy's P.O.V

I honestly don't know what to believe anymore. I feel like ever since I turned eighteen my life has been turned upside down.

For one thing people keep lying to me and leading me to believe things are one way when they're really another. It's been eating me up since we saved Emily and Justin a week ago. Emily decided to play it safe and stay with me since we still weren't sure about her mom.

She was in the living room sleeping on the couch. Justin and I were laying in my room on my bed. He was asleep and had his arm wrapped around my middle. His chest was pressed against my back and I lay awake. My mind was on high alert and I couldn't sleep. I sighed for the hundredth time that night and listened to the familiar sounds of the woods.

The crickets chirped, the flies buzzed and I could hear an owl in the distance due to my supernatural hearing ability. Soon the roof was pelted by the light rain that was starting to come down. The rain was starting to lull me to sleep when a noise around my house caught my attention. I heard the beating of a heart meaning something or someone was outside my house. Why would someone be outside of my cabin at this time at night? The worst came to mind and I gently removed Justin's arm from me. He grumbled but still kept his eyes closed.

"Babe come back to bed." he mumbled.

"Shh I'll be right back." I whispered. He responded with another grumble and was back to snoring.

I put a bathrobe over my body since I was only in a tank top and underwear. I tip toed as quietly as possible pass Emily's sleeping body, and to the front door. As I got closer to it the sounds of rustling became louder. I heard the grunt and struggle of someone pushing through bushes. Then I heard leaves crunch under their feet.  I grabbed the cold door knob and pulled it open to reveal a child who looked to be about twelve or thirteen.

It was a girl. She had her hair back in a ponytail and a cheap baseball cap on her head. She was soaked from head to toe. Her jeans were dark from being wet and she had a plain blue t-shirt that was soaked as well despite the grey hooded sweater she was wearing as well. She actually reminded me of a younger me in some way. Our hair color and texture was the same and our eyes were similar. The resemblance creeped me out a bit to say the least.  Her hand was  raised, balled in a fist in front of the know open door. I had opened the door before she could knock, She studied me silently as I did her.

"Are you lost?" I asked.

She put her hand down and played with her fingers. "Um no um are you Cassidy?" she asked shyly. I furrowed my brows and shook my hair with my hand before answering.

"Um. . .yes. Why?" This was really strange. Some twelve or thirteen year old girl comes knocking on my door in the middle of the night looking for me? This was definitely strange.

"Um could I come in?" she asked and I saw her try to peer inside.

"Uh sure. . ." I replied uncertainly. I took a step back and held the door open to let her inside. She stepped inside and looked around. "So mind telling me what your doing out this late and why your looking for me?"

She looked up startled a bit. I guess I'd broken her out of her thoughts.

"Um my adoptive mom said that I could I had a sister but she didn't know where I could find her. I wanted to meet this so-called sister but I didn't know where to start. I sneaked a peak in my files and caught a name, Isabel Lightwood. I went to her to question her thinking she could be my birth mom and turns out she wasn't. She did say she knew where my sister was so she sent me here. I mean I don't really know how to say this. I mean I guess you could've figured it out already but apparently were sisters." the girl explained.