Chapter 20: A Bunch of Surprises

Cassidy's P.O.V

After we had went home I carried Katie to my room and locked the door. As much as I tried to get her to speak to me she hadn't said a word.

At least she had stopped crying, I thought to myself. I sat on the bed with my legs crossed pretzel style as she laid in my lap. I decided to attempt to get her to speak once again.

"Katie please talk to me." I said softly as I played with her hair. There was a long moment of silence and just when I thought she was going to ignore me she spoke.

"I'm sorry." she whispered with a raspy I-was-just-crying voice.

"Huh?" I replied confused. Why was she apologizing?

"I'm sorry for what I said." she clarified.

"Its okay. I know it wasn't personal you were just hurting." I shrugged.

She turned her body around so that she was facing me. Her face was red and her eyes were puffy. Dried up tears stained her cheeks and her eyes were glossy. This was what I was afraid of. This is what I didn't want; Katie getting hurt. It broke my heart.

"I just wanted to meet my mom. My real mom. Sure I knew she wasn't going to be perfect but I had this sort of image in my head already of what she'd be like. In my mind she was the perfect mom.Then you told me those things and-"

"I only told you those things to protect you. I didn't want you getting hurt or brainwashed like Emily's brother Whyatt did. I didn't want to tell you but I didn't want to lose you to her. I just met you." I stated cutting Katie off.

"I know but you just ruined the image in my head and I got mad. I just wanted to say I'm sorry." she commented.

I nodded. "Well I'm sorry too." I smiled.

"We're both sorry then." she said with a small smile.

"Deal." I said and held out my pinkie finger. Katie did the same and we both interlocked our pinkies together.

Katie sat up and wrapped her arms around my neck. I smiled and wrapped my arms around her hugging her tight. This big sister stuff isn't so bad. Yeah we got off on the wrong foot but what kind of sisters would we be if we didn't get along? Katie pulled away first.

"I'm kind of exhausted from all that crying and stuff. Mind if I take a nap?" she asked.

"Knock yourself out kid." I answered with a smile and got off the bed to go to the bathroom.

Justin's P.O.V

Ok you can do this Justin, I said to myself.

She's not gonna laugh in your face she loves you. Plus she's heard you sing before, it'll be okay. At least I hoped so.

I took a deep breath and made my way to the closed bedroom door. I raised my fist to knock but paused in mid air. Nope I couldn't do it. Maybe its not the right time.

Its now or never, the voice in the back of my head spoke up. I sighed and knocked lightly on the door. I waited for a moment before I was greeted by Cassidy. She smiled brightly at me.

"Hey." she greeted with a smile. God she was so beautiful.

"Hey. Um remember that surprise I was telling you about?" I started.

"Yeah?" she nodded indicating she remembered.

"It's surprise time." I explained with a grin. She gave me a weird but excited look.