Ch. 2 - Becoming Obsessive

Chapter Two - Becoming Obsessive -

-

Hunter noticed a book clutched in Raven's hand and tilted his head to better read the title; 101 Psychos. He chuckled to himself, for some reason he didn't expect the beautiful woman to be reading slasher horror.

"I told you I'd help if you needed it. That's why I'm here." Raven teased the man.

"I just need help taking these boxes to the storage room upstairs, after that you can go back to reading." Davy insisted.

Raven set her book on the coffee areas counter top and proceeded to help Davy move the boxes. Hunter took it as an opportunity to initiate conversation, and stood to go retrieve the book from it's resting place. When Raven and Davy returned the woman went to the counter and found her story was missing. After glancing around she appeared disappointed that a customer took interest in the book and started off towards the stacks again.

"Excuse me, miss?" Hunter called to her.

Raven turned around nervously and approached Hunter. Davy knew how anxious she could become around new people, and so he watched the interactions from across the small seating area.

"Yes?" she asked hesitantly.

"I was wondering if you carried any more books like this one. I'm a bit of a horror fan." Hunter replied slyly, flashing her a winning smile.

"Umm, well there's, umm," Raven's nerves got the best of her and she cursed herself for being so uncomfortable around strangers.

"Raven here spends all her time in the horror section. If you're looking for a specific type of story I'm sure she can point you in the right direction." Davy intercepted, saving Raven from further embarrassment.

She flashed him a thankful smile before taking a deep breath to steady herself. Hunter observed her actions and found it to be adorable.

"Yes," she finally answered, "Is there something specific you were looking for? Monsters, ghosts, viral outbreaks, or maybe psychological thrillers?"

Hunter grinned, "I'm actually a fan of serial killers. I think it's the gore scenes, I can't get enough." he chuckled.

Raven smiled at his answer and visually relaxed, "Me too. It's more terrifying to read something that could happen."

She looked down and fidgeted with her shirt hem before pointing at the book he still possessed, "That's actually the best one. There's tons of different types of serial killers in it. I think you'd like it."

Hunter turned the book in his hand, "Weren't you reading it?"

"I've read it over ten times, it's someone else's turn to enjoy it." she smiled nervously, "Anything else I can help you with Sir?"

"Nope. You've been more than helpful." Hunter mused.

He watched the dark haired beauty disappear into the book shelves at the back of the building before returning to his seat. Hunter thought about making his move then, back in the secluded part of the shop, but decided against it. Davy might hear the struggle, and although the man couldn't do much damage, he didn't want to tempt his luck. This had to be planned.

"What brings you to these parts?" Davy asked the stranger, as was his nature.

"Road trip," Hunter replied without skipping a beat, "This happens to be the meeting spot for a few friends and I. I'll be here till they arrive then we'll continue on our way."

"Ah, and where is your party heading?" Davy queried.

Hunter thought for a brief moment while studying Davy. He decided the old man was simply starting a friendly conversation instead of fishing for information.