Ch. 15 - Lessons In Psycho-ology

Chapter Fifteen - Lessons in Psycho-ology -

-

Shadow sat in silence while he stared at the TV screen. He was obsessed with the news, and spent his free time scouring all sources for any hint of law officials hunting them. Newspapers laid scattered around his chair to scan over during commercials, and even the alarm clock next to his bed woke him to the countries morning events. He had other things on his mind though, and was finding it difficult to focus on his usual task.

Ghost sat in the living room with Shadow as he cleaned and maintained his weapons. He knew his friend was distracted but didn't feel it was the right time to question him on the matter. Instead he focused on the sounds of Jane's rugged, dying breaths as she laid bleeding on the floor behind him. After roughly two hours of listening to the woman suffer, Ghost couldn't take her weezing and choking anymore. He couldn't listen for the small metal scraps and ticks within his firearm over all the noise.

He stood swiftly and without word, grabbed Jane by the ankle, and dragged her through the kitchen and out the back door. Once outside Ghost unholstered his pistol and shot the woman in the head. The gun shot reverberated through the house, but Shadow didn't flinch at the sound. Ghost returned to the living room, leaving Jane's corpse out back to tend to later.

"Alright," Ghost sighed as he plopped down in the chair next to Shadow, "What's wrong?"

Shadow glanced at his comrade before turning his attention back to the news segment. He didn't answer immediately, but once a commercial break started he spoke.

"It's Hunter, I think something's wrong with him."

"Like?" Ghost pressed.

"Think about it. Usually he would have joined in on the fun with that woman. In fact, it's been almost twenty-four hours since we brought the hostages back, and he hasn't tortured one yet. It's very peculiar and unlike him." Shadow murmured.

"Well, he has been busy with Raven." Ghost pointed out.

"Exactly." Shadow stated, "That woman's getting to him. I'm worried Ghost. Raven's a distraction. We all have jobs. You keep us alive, I keep us hidden, and he keeps us employed. Unfortunately, he hasn't even begun planning our next job because of her. We should be preparing for a robbery or assassination by now."

Ghost nodded his head, understanding where Shadow was coming from, "Maybe we should talk to him about it. Express our concerns before we do anything drastic."

Shadow fell quiet after that. Many hours later he began voicing his thoughts again.

"Raven needs to be desensitized as originally planned, or she can't stay. If she can't be made to see things our way, she can't be expected to live with us peacefully."

Ghost didn't respond, but instead looked at his watch. It was getting late, and the sun was starting to set. Worried about Hunter, he pulled out his cell phone and texted him.

Everything chill?

A few minutes later he received a response.

Yeah. Heading back now. Almost there.

It didn't take much longer for the front door to open. Raven stepped through first and immediately looked to where Jane was last while Hunter entered and closed the door.

"Where is she?" Raven asked in a monotone.

"I did everything I could for her, but she didn't make it." Ghost lied.

Raven nodded her head before walking towards the stairs.

"We need to talk. Alone." Ghost told Hunter as he followed Raven.