Ch. 9 - Hunting Hunter

Chapter 9 - Hunting Hunter -

-

"What are you doing? Help him!" Raven screamed at the back seat.

"The best tool of a field medic is the ability to stay calm." Ghost answered.

With steady hands, Ghost peeled the bloody, circular wound open. He slipped a thin, angled pair of tweezers inside the gushing hole and fished the bullet out of it's fleshy pocket.

"9mm. At least it stayed in one piece." he mumbled to himself while tossing the hunk of led to the car floor.

"What do you care, huh?" Shadow accused Raven, "You have every reason to want him dead. You're probably over there hoping he bleeds out. Aren't you, you stupid bitch!"

"I'm not that stupid! As far as I can tell he's the only thing keeping your psycho ass in check! Ghost is only good at following orders -"

"Hey!" Ghost interrupted to defend himself, but only to be ignored.

" - and it doesn't take a genius to know what'll happen to me if he dies. Now fucking save him!" Raven yelled.

"What do you think I'm doing back here? Playing with my balls?" Ghost replied sarcastically.

Ghost peeled the wound apart again and shoved an applicator, much like a turkey baste, deep into the bullet hole before pressing on the end and slowly pulling the tip back out.

"What's that?" Raven asked, eager to know Hunter's state.

"Blood coagulator. It'll close up the broken blood vessels and stop most of the bleeding. Now I just have to sew him shut." he answered mechanically before starting to stitch the shoulder wound.

"Is he even breathing?" Shadow asked.

"Yup, and he'll survive. He just needs to rest for a bit, but it's gonna be hard keeping him from using the arm before it heals."

"Just like that? You can fix a gun shot wound just like that?" Raven asked in disbelief.

"Usually no, but there's not alot of internal organs in the arm, just blood vessels. The biggest problem with this part of the body is bleeding and possible nerve or tendon damage, but we can't check that until he's awake or we're home. Broken bones might have been a problem, but everything feels pretty solid. If he'd have taken the bullet to the stomach or chest, we might have been in trouble." Ghost explained.

Raven took a deep breath before leaning back in the passenger seat. The adrenaline from realizing Hunter's death meant her own slow, agonizing end was all but gone. She was left feeling tired and drained.

"So, he is okay?" Raven asked again, needing it confirmed one more time that she too would be okay.

"Yes Raven, Hunter is going to be just fine." Ghost reassured her.

"Good." she muttered.

Is it good? she asked herself. Would I stand a better chance if he were dead? One look towards the fuming Shadow with white knuckles answered her question; no. Shadow blamed her for what happened back at the diner, and the only person Shadow was afraid of was unconscious with a bullet wound in the backseat; but alive. Hunter had to stay that way if Raven were to survive the car ride.

She shifted to watch the world around her pass by through the tinted window. After a few miles, Shadow turned the radio on, and the news played softly in the background of silence. Random segments and the mundane problems of the general public lulled Raven to sleep within the hour.

The car remained silent until Hunter's watch started beeping on schedule. Ghost snapped his head in the direction, wondering if he'd piss himself or wake to the sound. One look into the rear view mirror told him Shadow shared the thought. After roughly twenty seconds, Hunter groaned and sat up slowly.