Chapter 5

The rain continued on into the next day. Waking up to see the damp outside just brought back the sadness I had felt before. For hours I spent in my room sulking under the covers. I wasn’t in the mood to deal with any of my ‘family’. Especially not John or Jack-Jack or whatever the hell his name was. My plans consisted of me staying up there all day. But my stomach growled and whined in protest.

I hated missing breakfast.

Sighing, I wandered out the door, down the stairs, and into the kitchen. I made sure to go down with my favorite blanket wrapped around my shoulders. Something I hated most – the house was chilly in the morning. But what I did like was having my bedroom on the second floor. So I wasn’t to far from the first floor, or the third.

As expected the room was empty. Dave and Trudy were probably off to work already, and John was most likely stalking around the house looking for me. Perfect. A cold plate of soggy eggs, stiff bacon, some greasy sausage and a mushy piece of toast was resting on the table where I would normally sit. For the few minutes I was there, anyway.

It was nice of Trudy to make me breakfast, even when I said I wasn’t coming down. Sometimes I felt bad, because she really was a very nice person. But to me it was like she was trying to replace my mom.

Sitting down in the chilly wooden chair I started to eat my food. It certainly wasn’t that good, but perhaps it was better when it was fresh. Trudy wasn’t a bad cook. Taking my time I munched on the cooking with small bites. Ugh. It just wasn’t worth it. Shoving the plate away I crossed my arms on the table.

A voice broke the silence of the vacant kitchen.

“It tastes better when you reheat it, Stupid.”

Griffin.

Glancing at the stove’s clock I realized it was around seven in the morning. Did he have to come pester me this early?

“Yeah, I know.” I grumbled, adjusting the blanket around my shoulders.

The ornery guy came and sat down in the chair beside me. He looked well-rested but at the same time exhausted. Neither one of us said anything for a bit. I was stating to consider just going back to bed. He was a jerk to me, why should I want to stay with him?

“So it looks like your going to be living here for a while.” He mumbled.

I blinked, shocked that he actually was starting a conversation.

“Yeah,” I answered quietly, “Sadly I am.”

He looked at me, confusion and a little bit of hurt showing in his eyes.

“What’s wrong with here?” He asked, frowning at me.

I shrugged. Honestly I wasn’t in the mood to get into it with him again. Not right now anyway.

“It’s…it’s just not what I’m used to.”

“Pssh, what, it’s not polluted and rat-infested like you want?” He scoffed. “Sorry clean, fresh air is such a burden! But out here we have—”

Getting up I turned and started walking off. “Where are you going?!” He demanded, “I’m talking to you!”

I glanced back at him over my shoulder.

“This way. I’m not in the mood to hear you rant. It’s too early for that crap.”

I could hear him growl behind me, but I really didn’t care. Quickly I made it up the grand staircase and turned the hall to my room. The door was open for some odd reason. Walking in slowly, I noticed the dresser drawer open, and my clothes had been rummaged through. Running over my fingers dug through to see if anything was missing. And of course, there was one thing – my favorite pair of underwear.