Chapter 8

Today was deemed another major clean day. Trudy decreed it so. My job was simple though. Instead of dusting every creak and crevice like a madwoman, I just had to do miscellaneous yard work outside. Such as trim the tall grass around the trees, pick up sticks, and anything else. The boys; however, had to fix the house. Any holes or repainting Trudy felt needed to be done they had to do.

So I spent my time picking up sticks and other things. Although I was enjoying my time alone, I did want Griffin to show up. I had more questions to ask him about vampirism.

Footsteps behind me started to come closer and I grinned. Wow, just on time!

“Hey Callie-Girl.”

Crap.

Turning around I saw my still purple-faced housemate looking me over. Great.

“What’re you doing out here, John? I thought you were supposed to be working in the house.” I grumbled.

“Mom sent me out to help you. She felt bad ‘cause you were doing the work by yourself. And hey, I’m not complaining.” He winked.

With the swelling and marks left by Griffin, the wink was a complete and utter turn-off to anyone who’d find Jonathan attractive. Which was everyone.

“Ugh, John you’re so sick.”

“Hey, It’s Jack-Jack,” He growled, “And it’s not like we’re related.”

“I don’t care; we live together for crying out loud! And I certainly wouldn’t be interested in some arrogant creep like you!”

He glared at me slightly.

“Whatever. You’ll see it my way soon enough.”

“Don’t hold your breath,” I grumbled and walked off.

“Where’re you going?!” He called, “We’re supposed to be working!”

“I’m going this way; I don’t want to work with you!”

He stood there for a few more seconds glaring at me before turning around stomping back into the house. Good riddance.

Truth was, I was feeling very curious. Was that girl still here? I couldn’t help but check. So I wandered in that direction. It was no surprise I could remember where it had been. That night was something I’ll never forget.

I made it to the spot to find the girl was gone. Just as Griffin had said she would be. Fact, you couldn’t have even been able to tell what went on here.

“Didn’t believe me?”

Turing around I wasn’t surprised to see the vampire before me. His arms were crossed against his chest and he was looking down at me with a bored expression.

“No, I did,” I admitted, “I was just curious.”

He nodded.

I noticed his jaw seemed a bit tight. Was he in a bad mood again?

“Griffin? Is something wrong?”

He glared over my head at a tree behind us.

“Yeah. So what? Do you care?” He snapped.

“Actually I did,” I grumbled.

He flexed the muscles in his arms and took a deep breath. Wow, he was pretty mad. It couldn’t have been at me…could it?

“Are you going to tell me why?” I asked slowly.

He shook his head and clenched his teeth. His fangs were starting to show and were poking at the insides of his mouth. I swore if they got any longer they’d rip right through the flesh below his bottom lip.