Chapter 17

My chest felt so tight I thought I was going to suffocate. Carefully I took deep breaths, trying to control myself. His eyes were on me, waiting anxiously. How was I supposed to tell him?

I forced myself to lift my head and look at him. Griffin was sitting in front of me, a calm expression, but worry was clear in his eyes. 

“Griffin…” I started slowly. Nervously my fingers reached out across the kitchen table to his hands and held onto them. His curled around mine and held on tightly. It actually started to hurt, but I paid no attention. “From the day I moved here, I had high expectations of living some amazing country life in a beautiful log cabin. But nothing has turned out that way. From the day I met you my whole world was turned upside down. Things were shown to me that I’d never even imagined. I see everything differently now, even you.”

Griffin nodded slowly.

“Go on,” He breathed.

I took a deep breath once more and did so.

“I…I wasn’t sure how to answer your question,” I said quietly, “Truly I thought a lot about it. And during which I realized that I hardly know you. I’ve been here how long? And all I know about you is your used-to-be relationship with Trinity and that you’re a vampire. Griffin…do you really believe it’s the reasonable choice for me to become a vampire for someone I don’t know?”

He kept his expression blank, but I knew better – in his eyes I could see he was crushed. The vampire nodded.

“Your right…” He sighed, looking away from me, “It’s not.”

Griffin got up suddenly, almost knocking the chair over.

“Griffin? Where’re you going?”

“Away,” He said sharply, then turned and was into the hallway.

***********                                        

I stormed down the corridors, hurt and fury clouding my eyes. My hands clenched and unclenched feverishly. How could I have been so stupid?! My eyes glared at the empty space straight ahead. Once again I put myself out there to only get cut off. Ugh! I hated this. I was done.

“Griffin!”

I heard her voice calling out to me but still I ignored it. There was no need to listen to her tell me more about how much she didn’t want to be with me. I had heard enough.

 “Griffin!” She called, “Griffin wait!”

My glare hardened and I didn’t stop. Fingers curled around my wrist and she pulled on me, “Griffin stop!”

He whipped around and looked down at me.

“What? What do you want?” He asked harshly.

I was shocked but I held my ground. There was no way I was going to let him yell at me and run off.

“Griffin, where’re you going?!”

“To get Adrian!”

I frowned but continued to hold onto him. The vampire didn’t lose any momentum in his stride.

“What do you mean?”

“Adrian thinks you shouldn’t be here. He says this is no life for you. Obviously he’s right!” He yelled, “When Adrian gets here you can go run off and be with him! And be freaking happy!”

“Will you stop and listen to me!” I said, tightening my fingers around his wrist.

“Why?!” He growled, “Why should I listen to you anymore?! Why should I stand here and let you cut into me like this?! Clearly you don’t want to be here with me, so why should I listen to anything you have to say?!” He cried.

I clenched my teeth and made my hands into fists.

“If you would have stayed to listen to me,” I hissed, “You would have heard that I want to be here with you! I want a life with you! Everything! But what I don’t want is for you to be freaking out on me all the time! You never listen to me! I tried to tell you something earlier, and you completely blew me off!”

“Well sor-ry!” He snapped, “But I can’t help but feel hurt by all this!”

“Why?!” I yelled, “Why are you so upset over what I said?!”

Because I love you!” He roared.

I stopped. My hands fell to my sides limply.

“You…what?” I gasped; my eyes wide.

“That’s right!” He continued, still yelling, “I love you! I! Love! You!

Suddenly I was in Griffin’s arms with him kissing me feverishly. His hands were on my lower back pulling me against him. My arms shot around his neck instinctively and drew him closer. The vampire stumbled forward and pushed me up against the wall. Flames and electric shocks were circulating through our nerves and veins. Never before had I felt so alive.

He pressed us closer together, if that was even possible, and deepened the kiss. How could it feel so passionate and urgent, yet soft and gentle? My fingers made their way to his smooth hair. Griffin’s hands grasped my shirt tightly in response. The heart in my chest was pounding furiously against my ribs, but it felt as though it hadn’t moved an inch.

We pulled away slightly, both of us breathing heavily for air. My eyes were still closed as my brain tried to catch up with the rest of me. Never before had I experienced something so…amazing! Griffin pressed our foreheads together, his eyes still closed.

“Griffin…” I said, barely above a whisper.

“Yes?” He answered in the same tone.

I tightened my arms around him in attempts to pull him even closer, although it seemed impossible to do.

“I want to be a vampire.”

Nothing more was said. Griffin picked me up and while kissing me, carried me off somewhere. I didn’t know where we were going or why, but I truly didn’t care.

I just wanted to be with him.

My vampire.