Chapter 13

I stood over the massacre that had once been called my bedroom. Everything was ruined. My clothes, my blankets, my bed – everything. It was all destroyed. The tattered flesh under my bandages ached when I saw the broken mirror, but my heart stung when I noticed the pills. What was I thinking?

“Hey.”

I turned around to see Griffin standing in the doorway. His arms were crossed as usual and he was leaning against the frame.

I looked around once more and let out a bitter laugh.

“I guess not all vampires are friendly.”

He shook his head no.

“Most aren’t. We’re vicious monsters.”

“I see.”

We were both quiet for a few moments. I noticed my journal lying open on the ground, and my painful writings on the inside. “I don’t know what I was thinking,” I started, turning away from both Griffin and the book, “I was stupid and selfish to…” My breath became shaky. “To think it was ok to end it. I felt so sure that no one would care.”

A pair of cool, strong arms wrapped around me from behind. Griffin placed his lips on my shoulder and we stood there for a while. My eyes closed and I concentrated on breathing. I’d had enough tears fall to my cheeks. “Griffin?” My voice sounded weak – like my body was wearing down.

But why?

“Yes, Callie?”

I looked down at my feet nervously.

“Can I stay with you tonight…please? I don’t know how well I’ll be able to sleep…”

He turned me around silently. His fingers curled around my chin and he gently lifted it so my eyes would meet his. A soft smile was on his face.

“I wouldn’t want it any other way.”