Chapter 18: Finale

I laid there, trying to calm my beating heart. Griffin’s bedroom seemed so different to me now. As if I was in some foreign land, gazing at the amazing features. I looked outside into the dark night. It seemed like the stars were glowing so much brighter tonight. I noticed a small pink flower lying on the nightstand beside me. It looked like a rose. Was that for me? How had I not noticed it before? There was click sound as the door knob turned. My eyes moved to the door as he came in. Griffin watched me for a moment, then joined me.

We laid there beside one another for a few seconds in a peaceful silence.

Then the vampire began to speak.

“Callie?”

“Yes?”

My own voice was quiet and soft. His hand reached out and grasped mine.

“Earlier, you tried to tell me something…and you said that I never pay attention…” His perfect lips curled up into a small smile, “I’m listening.”

I myself smiled back at him, even though it didn’t feel as graceful as his.

“When you rescued me…I noticed something. Do you remember running down the tunnel?”

He nodded.

“Of course.”

“And how long would you say that tunnel was?”

He frowned and thought for a moment.

“A mile, maybe two. Why?”

“Just bear with me. And which direction was the tunnel going to?”

Once again Griffin paused to think.

“Towards the end of the property.”

“Griffin, the ‘curse’ or whatever you call it says that you can’t leave the property.”

“Yes, I know. Callie what’re you getting at?”

“The property isn’t miles long. It’s only a few acres in fact. How does that work? I highly doubt it doesn’t apply for underground.”

Griffin was silent. He looked down at our hands while his eyebrows knitted together in thought.

“The charm stated that whoever it was cast upon couldn’t leave the enchanted space until their loved one returned.”

Griffin had an obvious confused expression. After a few minutes, a smile cracked on his stone-like face. “Wow…” He breathed, shaking his head. “The charm knew how I felt about you before I even did.”

I made a soft sniffing sound, causing Griffin to look up. “Callie, what’s wrong?” He looked at me with a concerned gaze, then reached out and touched my cheek. “You’re crying…”

I grasped his hand and shook my head, sniffing more.

“I…I just never thought someone would care about me so much.”

Griffin gave me that gentle gaze that always made me melt inside. The vampire leaned over and placed his lips just below my eyes, moving from one to the other smoothly. As if he was kissing away my tears.

“Don’t cry, Callie,” He whispered. And of course this made me even more emotional. The vampire held onto me until my tears subsided. We lied there for quite some time, not speaking, just resting. His silky voice broke the silence. “Callie?”

“Yes?”

“If we do this…Trinity won’t go away. She’ll be a dark shadow, a curse, and will do everything in her power to destroy us both. Male vampires will be all over you.”

“Why?” I asked.

He stopped and looked at me in shock.

“Why? Callie you’re amazingly beautiful with a rocking body! Every male will be coming onto you.”

He frowned and I could see his protective side come through. Griffin hesitated for a moment.

“Are you sure you want this?” He asked.

“Yes, Griffin,” I nuzzled my face into his cold chest, “I want this.”

After a few moments of him holding me, the vampire propped himself up on one elbow and looked down at me.

“Are you ready?”

I gazed at him and took a shaky breath. My heart started to pick up in speed and my stomach started to twist. The vampire’s dark blue eyes gave a reassuring look.

“I-I think so.” I stammered, “I’m…I’m really nervous.”

Griffin kissed my forehead softly.

“I’ll be here the whole time Callie, I promise.” He said, his lips brushing against my skin.

Shaking my head up and down, my hands trembled anxiously. A few deep breaths flowed in and out of my lungs. I needed to calm down.

“Griffin…it’s not going to hurt…is it?” My voice sounded very small and insecure.

“Only for a minute,” He responded quietly, “It’ll be quick.”

The fear inside me was growing more and more with every second.

“Callie, it’s going to be ok,” His fingers curled around mine, “I won’t leave your side for a second.”

A small smile formed on my face – I knew he wasn’t lying. Taking a deep breath, I spoke softly.

“I’m ready.”

Griffin nodded, then move his lips down to the sensitive skin on my neck. It felt like every touch sent little electric sparks to my very core. My stomach was knotted so badly I thought I was going to be sick. He gave me a small kiss on the artery.

“I love you,” He said softly. When his words hit my ears, my insides relaxed. I knew this was right. I felt his teeth puncture into my skin – making me cry out in shock. The pain was sharp, but it only lasted for a few moments. My eyes closed, knowing that when I opened them, I’d be a new being with a new life. Like a flower opening up to the world for the first time. For once, I felt like the beautiful pink rose beside us. Everything was perfect.

This was what I’d been waiting for.