Chapter 10

I paced around in my room, steaming mad. My fingers were twitching and my eyes were fixed into a hard, icy glare. How dare she yell at me like that?! She had no right! This was my home! She invaded it! She turned everything upside down! I felt like letting out a roar of fury.

Clutching a pillow from my bed I threw it at the wall angrily. But of course it had no effect on anything, making me even more upset. Oh how badly I wanted to smash everything to tiny pieces. My fangs started to grow long with every ragged breath, making them poke at the skin just below my bottom lip. Breathing heavily I ran out of my room and out the front door. I needed to get away to the other side of the property. The family would notice if I destroyed the house.

 Feverishly I ripped into trees and yanked them apart. I was as far away and as deep into the woods that I could go. But it seemed no matter how much damage I created, it didn’t make me feel any better. I looked around at the mass of carnage I created, and felt nothing but confusion and dismay.

It wasn’t fair.

I dropped the branch that was in my hands. It hit the ground with a crunch and rolled over slightly. I tightened my hands into fists so tight I thought my nails were going to go through my thick vampire skin. Glancing down, something caught my eye though. Couching down, I picked up a cigarette butt. It didn’t seem uncommon – teens came here all time and sometimes they smoke and drank. But still I felt like there was something wrong. Standing up, my eyes drifted to the direction the mansion. My eyes widened as I realized whoever stood here could not only see the mansion, but Callie’s bedroom window too.

The house was so far away, but with binoculars… I dropped the nasty cig butt and looked closer at the earth below me. Footprints were everywhere. Mine had smeared some of them, but the rest were very clear. I scanned over then, trying to trace this person’s steps. It looked as though someone had been here, pacing back and fourth, trying to decide on something.

Then the prints turned and walked towards the house. I froze. In the kitchen I had noticed that something or someone had been here on the property, but Callie made me so mad that I forgot about it. As I calmed down more, I realized this whole area was covered in a heavy vampire scent. And it wasn’t my own.

“Callie.” I breathed.

I looked to the house in sheer panic. With vampire sights, it made it easy to look at things as though you had binoculars. That was something we had that made us even more powerful hunters. More dangerous killers. And from here you could see perfectly into Callie’s room. In a heartbeat I ran towards it, pushing my limits. How could I have been so careless?! A vampire was here on my turf, and I let it get through my walls. The intense speed made it easy to get there in a few seconds. But that also meant that this creature could get away in a few seconds.

Throwing open the back door I went through the kitchen and into the parlor. My own dead heart felt like it was racing although it wasn’t even moving an inch. “Callie!” I called, running up the stairs. I didn’t get an answer back. “Callie!”

I came to her room to see the door open slightly. My breath caught in my throat as I slowly pushed it open. The bedroom was torn apart. Clothes were spew everywhere, the bed was tossed aside and her blankets were torn to shreds. “Callie?!” I gasped, looking for her. I went to the bathroom to see the door was busted off and the mirror that had once been on the wall was shattered on the floor and blood was mixed in the shards. But I noticed pills spilled on the ground. Tons of them in the piles of mirror pieces. Had they been knocked out of cupboard during struggle?

The smell of the blood was strong and so familiar. Something I knew so well and wished I didn’t. The stomach inside my body twisted hard as I looked at it.