Chapter 15

So many things were running through my head. My mind felt as though it was at a fierce war with itself, and both sides were losing. Vampire. I tried to wrap my brain around it, to process it, but it seemed almost impossible. Slowly I attempted to register it one step at a time. Vampire. Truly, what were these creatures? Just blood-sucking monsters with impeccable physical features? No, they were so much more.

They were strange.

Normal.

Beautiful.

Ugly.

Flawless.

Imperfect.

Dead.

Alive.

Loving.

Hateful.

Emotional.

Bitter.

Warm.

Cold.

They had the distinct characteristics we did. Had emotions like us. Walked like us. Talked like us. Acted like us. They were real. They were human. 

I sat up there alone, thinking. The attic seemed strangely homely, even with all the cob webs and dust-covered furniture everywhere. When Griffin talked to me about be becoming a…a…vampire, I froze up. The only thing I could really choke out to him was that I needed to think. After that, Griffin let me be alone. He knew I needed some space. God, how was I supposed to make this kind of choice?

When my parents died, I dreamed about my own death, and being able to see them again someday. If I became what Griffin is now, then that’d never happen. But what was truly more important? Seeing my parents once again, or spending eternity with someone I didn’t know very well.

Then it hit me.

How much did I really know Griffin?

My knowledge of him wasn’t very vast – mostly it consisted of him losing his former love, him living in this mansion, and of course his vampirism. My eyes drifted to the window in front of me. I could see a perfect view of the backyard. The treetops were swaying lightly in the wind, as if they were crying out in chorus. 

But there were things I did know about him as well. I knew he was sweet, kind, unique, and so much more. Griffin cared about me. He rescued me from that vampire. When I wanted to die he convinced me otherwise. I’d been alone for almost my whole life, the whole seventeen years I’ve lived it, and he’s made that better. 

My eyes closed. I was so afraid of death, yet I wanted to embrace it. I didn’t know how to make this decision! How could I possibly choose between seeing my beloved parents again and spending the rest of forever with a vampire?

 **********                                         

Standing in the forest I looked up at her. I knew she couldn’t see me, and that was fine. We needed some space for a while. But still I couldn’t help but gaze at her. It was obvious to me that she was feeling very conflicted. Course I couldn’t blame her. Asking her to be a vampire with me was a big step. A big step. But I couldn’t help it – I didn’t want her to die.

Images of her in the well cambers still lurked in the back of my mind. Her trembling in the corner, cold, wet and broken never left my mind. And that…that thing. The alpha vampire did over kill on her. Normally they wouldn’t use the amnesia abilities on their victims, but they certainly wouldn’t torture humans! He did it just to get at me. Because that’s what we are – destructive freaks of nature. My eyes closed tightly and I clenched my teeth. Go away. I thought bitterly. Don’t remind me of what he did.

Focusing my eyes on Callie, I sighed. Was I asking too much of her? Was it fair to want her to become what I am? What kind of life would we have? I can’t leave the property. She’d have the ability to travel wherever she wanted…

I shook my head. Callie wouldn’t leave. She wouldn’t do that do me.

Would she?

My mind started to wonder if maybe Adrian was right. Her being trapped with me wasn’t fair. Perhaps it was best Callie left with him. Even if we weren’t the best of friends, I knew the vampire would take care of her. Callie would be safe.

That’s all I wanted.

 *******                                       

 My footsteps on the thinly-carpeted floor echoed softly. Thump, thump, thump. Faster and faster my legs carried me. Griffin mentioned something about being outside for the day. So now here I was, rushing to see him. To find him. How had I not noticed this before?

Throwing open the front door I looked around the driveway quickly. My eyes darted left to right swiftly.

“Griffin?” I called, “Griffin?”

My voice sounded different to the ears in my head. Like it was someone else speaking for me. Using my throat. My tongue. My mind.

“Griffin!” I shouted. Where the hell was he?

“Callie?”

I whipped around to see him standing behind me. His hands were torn up and bloody, while his eyes were full of worry and shock. “Callie? What’s wrong? Are you hurt?” He asked, his voice rising in a panicked form.

“No,” I frowned; looking down at his ripped hands and arms, then back up to his eyes. “What happened to you?”

He hesitated and shifted his weight from one foot to the other. The vampire’s eyes looked around the property in one quick motion then returned his gaze to me.

“It’s nothing.” He said, his voice hard like stone. “What happened? Why’re you looking for me?”

“Oh, I, uh,” To me it felt like when I first met him. When Griffin was harsh with me. Feeling very self-conscious, I sighed, “It’s nothing.”

He scowled down at me.

“You called me over for nothing? Seriously?”

I tried to hide the fact that I was wincing. What was his deal?

“Yeah,” I said, desperate to mask my shaky voice, “I guess so.”

He shook his head and walked away, leaving me in the cold outside. No tears came to my eyes, but an old wound felt pulled open. Why was he acting this way?

Course I didn’t really know how he normally was. Everyone has bad days, but I wasn’t sure if I was up to being treating so harshly for an eternity.

“Mean, isn’t he?”

The voice sounded so close, yet so far. As if the trees were whispering it to me ever so softly. Turning around nervously, my eyes landed on the owner of the words. I bit my lip nervously. Griffin, I thought fearfully, Please come back.