Chapter 11

My insides felt cold and dead, my eyes were sore and, and my head pounded hard. Everything was dark here, scaring me. I hated the dark. But what made it so much worse was that I was trapped in here with a creature. Its heavy breathing echoed off the walls, making me unable to tell where it was. I slowly pulled my legs up so I was hugging my knees. My arms and legs stung from the cuts and slashes in my skin.

As my eyes closed I thought of being ambushed in my room. I remembered locking myself in the bathroom and trying to bring myself to swallow all the pills. Hysteria was the best way to describe me at that point. Anger at everything and at myself was so strong inside me. I hated that I was too scared to live, but too scared to even consume the pills. My body was trembling like a lost kitten in a rainstorm. Then a knocking was on my door.

“Go away!” I cried, thinking it was Griffin, “I don’t want to see you!”

Next thing I knew, my door was being ripped through, and some guy was standing there. He looked around his mid-thirties, and he looked hungry. After that he advanced on me and I blacked out. My memory felt spotted, like an old, worn movie reel. I remembered pieces and parts of being thrown around, cut, and dragged away.

And now I was stuck somewhere with a man – a vampire – that was taunting me. He breathed deeply, scraping his claw-like nails on the wall, making me cringe in absolute fear. But I didn’t want this. I wanted it to be over. I wanted to be dead.

“Just kill me,” I cried, “Kill me!

*********                                       

I stood over the well. The scent was coming from here. Could a vampire have really been living under my nose? It didn’t seem possible. I would have noticed long ago if an alpha male vampire moved in on my territory. But what were the chances it made a tunnel system leading to the well?

Jumping down, I fell a long ways. Watching the light disappear from my eyes I knew that there was no turning back. Then I hit the cold, damp ground. Landing on my feet like a panther, I sniffed around. The smell of vampire and sewer was very heavy. Along with the scent of Callie’s blood. I blinked, trying to concentrate with the heavy mixture of odors.

Switching to my vampire eyes, I focused on my surroundings. The dark brick walls were damp and mucky, as expected. Turning around the tight space, I found a small opening where someone could squeeze through. Couching down I smelled blood around the edge. Callie had been drug into it and down the tunnel on the other side.

Fury was flowing through my body. Quickly and stealthily I squirmed through the hole and dropped down a few feet. In here was a large tunnel I could stand up in and spread my arms out all the way. This had taken quite some time to make. How could I have not realized this was here?

Kill me!” Callie’s voice echoed along the walls. My breath caught in my throat, and I quickened my pace. “Kill me!” She cried, “Just do it! Do me a favor! Freakin’ kill me!” Every time she said that I felt like someone was thrusting a knife into my chest and twisting it.

Had I really been that terrible to her?

Of course you had. My mind hissed.

I was practically running down the tunnel. It seemed as though the farther I went, the farther Callie got away from me. I came to a fork and paused, waiting. I needed to hear where there were.

After a couple of seconds, nothing, but then a loud scream came from the left tunnel. Instantly I went in that direction, not even caring if the alpha vampire found me. I needed to get to her.

**********                                        

It felt like fire was flowing through my veins. Followed by large electric shocks hitting every nerve. My throat felt hoarse and stripped – had I been screaming? The pain was unbearable, and what made it worse was it was on and off. He removed his teeth from my skin again. I tried to breather, but still felt like passing out at any moment. My body was so drained of both blood and strength.

“Why…don’t you…kill me…already?” I asked, barely able to talk.

The vampire laughed slightly.

“I love to play with my victims.”

I closed my eyes and leaned my head against the wall. How many more times would he do this? Once? Twice? Six times? Who knew. The slices on my legs ached as I stretched them out slightly. I couldn’t have been here to long, but still it felt like forever. I felt the vampire crouch down in front of me and grasp my shoulders.

“Ready?” He teased.

I swallowed roughly. All my tears were gone now, leaving nothing but dry sorrow. He grasped onto my neck with his mouth sharply and I screamed hoarsely. His fingers tightened on my shoulders, then he was gone. My body slumped back into the wall. My chin touched my chest as my head hung limply. My vision went out and finally I felt sweet release.

 Everything felt soft and bright, like every piece and part of me was lying in a pool of cool, comforting water. Nothing was hurting anymore. All stress and pain I had inside was gone. My body felt as though it were floating, and so much happiness was inside of me. Was this heaven? It had to be. The light around me grew until it was so bright, but didn’t blind me.

After a few seconds, the brightness faded. A silhouette of someone leaning over me came into view and the pain started to come back. As if something had just ripped me from my bliss. I blinked a few times and realized Griffin was above me. Behind him Adrian and the other two vampires’ stood on edge – looking around watchfully. My housemate’s lips were moving swiftly but I heard nothing. Slowly his voice came back. Blood was on his face yet he seemed unharmed. “Callie?” His voice sounded just above a whisper, until it faded in more. “Callie?”

“Griffin?” I spoke with a sore throat like no other.

“Callie! Thank god!” He cried.

I turned my head away from him. “Callie?” He leaned to the side to try and get me to look at him. “Callie,” He touched my cheek, “I—”

“—don’t touch me,” I murmured sharply. He pulled his hand back. I could see a broken expression on his face from the corner of my eye.

“Callie?”

I closed my eyes.

“Where am I?” I asked quietly.

“…outside,” He said in the same tone.

I took a shallow breath. This had to end.

“Where are my pills?”

I felt him grasp my shoulders roughly, scaring me a little bit.

“Callie!”

I ignored him.

“Look at me Callie!” He growled. Still I kept my eyes closed. I was so tired… His strong hands shook me again. “Look at me!”

My head turned obediently and my eyes slowly lifted the lids. They were sore and I could barely keep them open. He was glaring down at me, his teeth bared with fury. If I wasn’t so exhausted I would have been afraid. Terrified, even. “Don’t you ever think about doing that!” He yelled, “You hear me?! You think killing yourself is really the best thing to do?!”

I fought to keep my eyes focused on him, but they started to blur with more tears. Amazing I even had any left.

“And what am I supposed to think?” I said, starting to whimper. “That you actually care? That you’d cry if I died? That if I left this earth you would have a broken heart?” My own tears fell down the sides of my face as my chest shook with sobs.

Suddenly I was in a reclined position with my face buried into something cold. It took me a few seconds for my brain to register that Griffin was holding me to his chest. His arms were wrapped around my back and his face was in my hair.

“Yes,” He breathed, “Yes.”